Optician can see the start of a cataract

Posted , 7 users are following.

How long does it take for a cataract to develop before you need treatment?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think the answer is...."it depends".  Here's my story. I'm now 70. Starting in my early 60's during my annual check-ups, my optometrist would say, "I see the beginnings of a minor catract but you are a long way off from it being a problem or interefering with your vision". For almost a decade, every time i went back for my annual check, the optometrist would say the same thing and that it had hardly progressed at all. This included last year's check up in the Spring.  Then in the Summer, my vision suddenly started to get quite blurry over the course of several months. I went to an opthamologist and he said I needed cataract surgery. I had severe catracts and needed the surgery as sooon as possible. I successfully had both eyes done last Fall. 

After being perplexed by how fast, or why, it had progressed so fast after years of it essentially being dormant, I wanted some answers. After  some questioning and research, I found the answer.... my new boat. In the Spring of last year I had bought my first ever boat and was constantly out on the lake and in the bright sun, either working on the boat or riding in it..... WITHOUT EVER WEARING SUN GLASSES. Constant exposure of the eyes to direct sun light and its reflection off the water is horrible for cataracts. I didn't know. Now I know, but it's too late. In any event, I'm lucky. I came through both surgeries with only one minor complication, which eventually cleared up. If you protect your eysight from overexposure to bright sunlight, you can go years even decades with your cataract progressing little or not at all.

• Posted

Songbill,,

How bad did the opthamologist say your vision was when he said you needed the cataract surgery as soon as possible? Also which IOL did you end up getting and do you wear glasses post surgery? Thanks.

• Posted

He said, "I don't know how you have been able to function!" And it was pretty bad. I could barely read my computer monitor. He did measurements using his equipment but I don't know what those measures or numbers were.

I had the monofocal lenses put in. He recommended against multifocal.

• Posted

And I do have to wear glasses but my vision is great.
    • Posted

Songbill,

Since you had a hard time seeing your computer I am assuming both of your eyes progressed at the same time. Interested in hearing about which complication you had. Glad it went well though.

• Posted

It varies drastically,  most often it takes many years for the cataract to noticeably impact vision from the time a doctor first identifies it, even decade(s). In other cases a cataract can develop rapidly. I had a problem cataract appear in an eye that went from best corrected vision of 20/25 to 20/60 within about 3.5 months, i.e. even with contacts/glasses that was the best that eye could see. My optometrist didn't even realize it was a cataract at first, due to my age and not thinking the trace changes she saw in the lens accounted for the decline in vision, but an opthalmologist eventually clearly diagnosed it. Since my other eye still had good vision I tuned it out for quite a while before surgery since my brain just used the good eye, and I was hoping to wait for better newer replacement lenses to be approved.

You are the one who decides when you "need treatment" based on when the cataract is impairing your vision enough that you wish to get surgery, which is usually partly based on whether insurance or government healthcare will pay for it. Usually healthcare plans cover cataract surgery when vision in an eye can't be corrected well enough to meet the requirements to drive,  which in the US usually means the eye can't be corrected to  20/40. However some places are starting to be more flexible about coverage since for instance cataracts can impair night vision and the ability to drive at night even before they make regular visual acuity worse than the driving standard. Some  will cover it once the cataract is having a problematic impact on vision for work or regular life activities as determined by an ophthalmologist, or consider visual tests related to night vision,  though most I think still  use the standard of covering it once vision is worse than whats required to drive. 

• Posted

I am new to this forum, and do not know how to contact you without writing in a topic already started! I first saw posts by you several weeks back when I was researching Symfony lenses. I had my first cataract surgery Monday (I am 52). I had the Symfony lens placed. I have wonderful distance and intermediate vision, but close is not good yet. I will see my doctor on Wednesday, but have been trying to figure out how long it generally takes to know that you have the best vision you are going to have. I really do not want to have to put on readers for my phone. My second surgery is on December 12.
    • Posted

For future reference, if   you click on someone's user name, on the profile page there is a "Message" link to send a private message to someone. In my case I was lucky and had 20/25 vision at near at my 1 week postop (1 week after both eyes), and had no problems with my phone by a couple of days after surgery. Unfortunately it seems to very drastically how long it'll take to get the best near with a premium lens, and I haven't seen any studies on the issue with the Symfony. I had worn multifocal contact lenses, including ones from different brands with different optical designs, so it could be my brain had practice at  adapting to a change in my visual system. Thats pure speculation though since I haven't seen any study on whether such adaptation takes place.

Before I had my surgery, I contacted  a surgeon who compared the Symfony and the AT Lisa Trifocal, since I was considering both of them. I was surprised that he told me that his impresion was that neuroadaptation can take longer with the Symfony than with the trifocal, but unforunately he didn't respond to a request to quantify how long he meant. I figured he was busy, and it didn't seem good to try to take up his time to try again to get a reply since I'd already decided to go elsewhere. Neuroadaptation can take several weeks with multifocals, but varies greatly. 

Another factor is that in the first few weeks after surgery there is some chance the lens might move forward or backward a bit while its still healing, to make you more or less myopic and that'll impact your near vision. I don't think mine changed much if at all after surgery,  but they typically don't consider prescribing glasses until 4 weeks after surgery to be sure vision is stabilized, and sometimes it takes even longer than that. 

One issue is what your refraction is, whether  you need any visual correction to get the best distance vision with that eye or if you were left farsighted perhaps (as I was in 1 eye) which reduces near a bit. Fortunately my other eye makes up for it and gives me the decent near. It may be that a bit of micro-monovision with the 2nd eye will be enough to let you see your phone. One thing you might try (perhaps after your vision is stable after a few weeks) is to see how much correction  you need with the Symfony eye to read your phone (e.g. see if -0.5D or -0.75D is enough) to see how much micro-monovision you'd neeed. They might target slightly more myopia to ensure you have enough if that is a concern for you. Or they could tweak one or both eyes after surgery with lasik. I haven't felt a need for it, but keep wondering about that for my slightly farsighted eye. 

• Posted

Each person is different. In my case, I had early stages of cataracts when I was in my 50's, then in 2013, I was again told that I had early stages of cataracts. I saw an eye doctor in January 2014, again I was told I had early stages of cataracts. By July 2014, I couldn't read a book, by November, I couldn't read a newspaper because everything was gray. By December, I couldn't see people faces. I thought I was going blind due to my diabetes. I thought I was going to have to learn braille that is how bad my vision got.

Finally got an appointment to see my eye doctor in January 2015, and she said I had very dense cataracts and I needed surgery soon. She said I would be contacted in 1 to 2 months. I didn't hear anything in 4 months, so I called agaim and was finally see by the cataract surgeon in July and had the surgery doneeds in August 2015. I can see without glasses at times, but I do wear glasses to see tiny print or to see far away like 2 to 3 blocks away in the US. But I usually use glasses when my double vision returns. I have always had Double vision, so this is not a new result of having cataracts.

So as I stated before, everyone is different. Mine came on gradually within a year. But I had other problems going on that year including being on haemodyalysis and having 4 amputations on my legs, so that may have been a factor why my vision went away so quickly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.