sliding hiatus hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone help me i have a sliding hiatus hernia  Does anyone know if this shows as being behind the heart on ct scans ,   have had hernia for years  Would appreciate any feed back 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

A hiatus hernia is some of the stomach that has pushed through (herniated) from the abdomen to the thorax through the hole in the diaphragm (hiatus) the oesophagus passes through. It is just below the sternum.

The heart is in the thorax behind the sternum and just to the left.

On a CT scan a hiatus hernia should show just below the heart but very close to it. (See attached image. )

Hiatus hernias are very common in the population and for the majority cause no problems. However, by reducng the function of the lower oesophageal sphincter, they may exacerbate gastro-oesophageal reflux which may cause problems.

• Posted

Thank you for that   

It defiantly said it was behind heart , on the report. but nobody seemed to be concerned  it is noted as being small and  dosnt give me many problems 

I just thought it odd and I suffer from anxiety and was worried  

Many thanks  

• Posted

Hi I to have a sliding hiatus hernia but no idea were it is ! Wot symptoms do you get ? Mine just maninfests its self as phlegm in my throat  which is

Not great but better than most people  I think moy 

• Posted

Hi Moy , 

I get woken sometimes with burning acid coming from throats and cough  don't get any actual heartburn. 

Only found out  it is behind heart through ct scan , but it is in osaufagas  ,sorry don't think that's spelt right  ! Which evidently lays behind heart   I have heard you can get a lot of phlem but sorry I am not much help 

• Posted

Hello MO 1946,

I don't know where your hernia is, but I had the same named hernia, but mine was not behind my heart. It was just above my stomach, just above my naval. Be blessed.

• Posted

Hi Bonita 

I think it shows up on ct scan like that  , but it is I believe in the oesafagus. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.