Still limping

Posted , 13 users are following.

13 weeks post op, can do most things except walk without limping. Is this normal. Physio hasn't really helped, just makes my hip ache, I do the exercises every day and go for a walk. My hip was cemented in, is this the problem. I feel very despondent,  I was walking normally after my right hip was done 3 years ago after about 8 weeks.  I hate to keep moaning but it's very very depressing.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm no help as I'm only 11 days post op on my first hip replacement (age 35) I'd be wanting to have leg length checked as its a high percentage of us which will be left with uneven length. I think it's 25% 😰 . It feels like my legs way longer than the other 😳

• Posted

Hi 👋🏽 Sue! I'm 10 weeks out and I still limp pretty significantly. I saw dr yesterday and said I have bursitis, tendinitis and my IT band is bothersome too. Muscles in thigh is very tight due to him giving me length. I was 1 & 1/2 inches short. I am now the same length maybe just a bit short. Ive had pt at home as I was unable to drive till now. So beginning next week I'll be going to out patient therapy. Dr says give him 6 weeks and I should see improvement. My muscles are very weak in hip and having the bursitis and tendinitis is also causing the limping. So here's hoping. Not sure tho with your hip being cemented if that makes a difference. Hope all gets resolved for you. LD

• Posted

Hi Sue. Like you left hip done in 2014 and now 11 weeks post op on right hip. Still limping a bit now and again which is a pain as I wasn't the first time. 

I find that my physio exercises really help and sometimes you can overdo them. Try having a break and a good rest for a day because I find that can help. Are you in the UK? Regards Polly

• Posted

Do you have a leg length discrepancy, ask the physio, they do know how to measure your legs to see if there is a difference.

Also muscles weakness can appear as a leg length discrepancy.

I have both, extra length added during surgery, and muscle weakness, physios a big help with the muscle weakness, and a shoe lift for the difference in length have made a big difference, but you do need to identify if it is leg length or muscles weakness, I felt early that the Dr's could have done a lot more rather than just re-assure me that it would correct itself, extra leg length does not correct itself if it is significant, mine is 3/4 inch, 3/8 inch naturally below my knees, not identified before surgery, which complicates the issue.

• Posted

According to what I have read, most people are walking without a limp or walking aids by 10 weeks, but some people are not and need more time. There can be many reasons for you still having a limp, and it still may get better without intervention depending on the reason for it. I have a severe limp since my THR in July 2015, and it is because I have a severe gluteus medius tear. My original surgeon couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I had to go for a second opinion with a different medical group. I'll be having surgery to repair the tear in a week. If, over time, your limp doesn't get better, then my recommendation is that you keep on discussing this with your surgeon and insist on diagnostic imaging in order to get a definitive diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Best wishes to you, Sue!

• Posted

Hi Annie. If you don't mind me asking how did you get this gluteus medius tear?? Did it hurt? Thanks. LD

• Posted

Linda, the doctors have no idea how it happened. I had an antero-lateral approach for my THR, and they must dissect (or pull apart) the gluteus medius lengthwise in order to access the hip joint. They do suture it back together at the end. My doctor said that sometimes in older people, they don't heal well or at all. Or one of the screws they use to anchor it in came loose. Or it got torn during everyday life. I do not remember any particular incident. I have always had pain in that area, ever since the THR, and don't know when that particular pain of the GM tear started, since there is so much pain there after surgery for everyone, even if their GM is not torn.

I have a suspicion that it might have been torn soon after surgery with over-agressive physical therapy. They had me doing some stretches at 90 degrees that were fairly intense and maybe it happened then. It's a mystery.

• Posted

Are you doing clamshell exercises or side leg lifts? Because these specifically target the muscles that will get rid of your limp.
  • Posted

Are you doing clamshell exercises or side leg lifts? Because these specifically target the muscles that will get rid of your limp.
  • Posted

At 9 months I still link occasionally - when I'm tired after a day's work.  It's just muscle strengthening that is required - and it takes a long time.  

Mine isn't helped by me losing a LOT of weight before the operation, so I have less 'backside muscle' than I used to have wink, so strengthening is going to take me a long while.  

Cemented or uncemented should have no bearing on your walking ability, it's just a different method of attaching the metal to your bone.

• Posted

I'm just a week out so I'm trying to stay calm, but it feels like my operated leg is now longer than the other - which is ironic because I was worried that due to the arthritis and cartilage wearing away, that the "bad "leg" would be shorter. Go figure. I go next Thursday for staples to be removed and will talk to surgeon. Feeling perplexed - annoyed with this. Don't want to still be limping or have to use shoe lifts or whatever. Hopefully it's just early and this will work out over time.

• Posted

hi sue,

so disappointing an discouraging, isn't it ?   we all want to walk normal again and the sooner the better - our body however still has some challenges to overcome - healing the afflicted trauma as well getting the other negelected body parts stronger, more flexible etc ---- I was in such a bad shape before I had my 1st THR - in denial for a long time - about 6 weeks post-op 1st THR, my other hip showed major decline of cartilage and 2nd THR was scheduled - the in between months were pure agony - more limping - 

what I am saying here is that patience is needed - a lot of patience -

it is going to be okay ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I'm 1 1/2 years out and still limp at times especially when I'm tired.

Not sure if it will ever go away with me but ask your surgeon or your physio if they could possibly get you a lift for your shoe if continues.

My doc says to continue thhe exercises and to try balancing on my operated leg a few times throughout the day. It did help!

Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.