I had hardware put in my left ankle, and now I'm afraid to see if I can push my clutch in.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I realize this may sound weird or ridiculous, but I have a secondary vehicle that is a 4 speed.  It's a 1977 car and has the manual (hard to push in) clutch.  Before my accident, I had no issues with the clutch, but even then, my foot would get tired sometimes. 

I was hurt May 10th and had surgery on Friday, May 13th.  Even though this is not my primary vehicle, I really do want  to see if I can use the clutch, but the reasons keeping me from doing that are: 

1).  I'm afaid it might hurt/stress or cause issues with my hardware.

2).  I'm afraid it might hurt/stress or cause issues with my hardware.  LOL!!!!!!!!!

I completely forgot to ask my doctor when went to see him a while back.  It just slipped my mind.  I go back to him the middle of December, but meanwhile, I have not even attempted to press the clutch in, since before I was hurt - back in May.  :-(

Beth

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I know what you are going through. I'm a single mom with really no support. I'm desperate just about everyday.... Wish that my teenage daughter would help me out. I'm learning very low how to change an entire life. Blessings to you! Monica

• Posted

I'd ask your physio. ..I don't trust my plated foot or other leg. Not until pain is gone, and strength is better. A lot of people on here drive. If you don't feel comfortable, trust your gut feeling.

🚗🚕

• Posted

Thanks to you both!  I have no pain, I'm just plumb scared of messing myself up!  Yes, I'm chicken and admit it!  LOL!

Beth

• Posted

I pray for everyone who is going through ordeals.

I'm not sure of this new doctor. I don't need more x-rays. I already now that the three surgeries did not function.

Monday I turned 41. I'm depressed and in pain!

• Posted

Monika, I'm so sorry.  I am certain that if I were in your shoes, I'd feel the exact same way.  Depressed!  And you've already had three surgeries!  Gosh!  I hope you can find some resolution or something to help your pain, soon.  Happy Belated Birthday.  Thinking of you.

Beth

• Posted

You need a damned good Dr. I'm like a yo-yo. Was told to look for work. Was asked ambitions-I said to walk on 2 legs.To hell with the job. I'm psychologically and physically damaged. Is always a struggle just to do basics. BUT- I do have good days. Try Heal yourself by L.O.u.i.s.e hay.

Good food, fresh air and any exercise you can.

• Posted

Thanks again for the support. I'm very impatient. I want solutions! The new orthopedic dr. Wants more x-rays.i really want solutions. I'm loosing track of time.

• Posted

Thanks so much for this wonderful website. I intend to be well soon. Nevertheless, things don't happen. I wish you, whomever listens or reads: all the love and healing process. With humility and appreciation. Monica

• Posted

Hi, the dog in your profile photo seems so so so lovely! <3 (the heart goes to the dog).

I don't think it's an unreasonable fear!

I'm full of fears from the moment I broke my ankles and tore the ankle ligaments in the left foot.

I'm still NWB but I think I will go crazy from my fears when I start putting weight and especially when I will have to go and walk out again, like I used to. I'm thinking sometimes 'My God, how am I gonna do this? Should I trust myself, should I trust the purely contracted pavements in my city, what will I do when the weather is snowy or rainny?'

Fearing such things seems quite normal to me.

In your shoes I would left this clutch untouched for the moment. After asking doctor's advice, I would proceed very carefully.

It's better to be overattentive than careless in our case.

• Posted

Hi irini, thank you for the sweet compliment on my dog!  Her name was Honey.  She was such a sweet soul and I miss her every day. 

I am glad that we feel the same way.  It is nice to now that fears are not just mine, and normal to have.  Thank you for your comments.  And I wish you the best in your journey.  :-)

Beth

• Posted

If you had the op that long ago I can't see there should be any issues..just sit in the car and try! If it's too painful then wait a bit longer. I couldn't drive our manual for a while.Its surprising how much pressure it takes to depress the clutch! You don't even notice it without ankle issues..

Now I am even back to my old bad habit of sitting with the clutch held in at lights etc..I am 6 months post op this weekend. Broke tibis & Fibula - 7 screws and a plate in the fibula and 1 screw in tibia..

• Posted

Hi Sue, thanks for the advice.  I'm just nervous and I have even dreamed about it!!!!!!!!!  I dreamed I was able to do it and I really want to.  I had my surgery on May 13th, so it's been a while now.  I'm glad you are able to use your clutch now!  That is great and gives me hope, that I can do the same!  Thank you again!  :-)

Beth

• Posted

I'm at the 6 month stage and have been working hard on chiro exercises..I just went back to windsurfing . I woke that morning in more pain than usual and then 8/10 pain driving down and hobbling around. I almost didn't go but my chiro said 'its structurally sound - you're there so give it a go'..The ankle handled it well! I used a smaller sail so I wasn't as powered up but could do everything.Its quite demanding and I'm locked into footstraps so a bit worrying..

It looks like walking is the last thing that will come good as thats how I did it..

So try and see!

• Posted

Sue, glad you were able to go back to windsurfing.  I know you're glad you could do that again.  My issue is fear.  I'm just terrified to try.  I sat in my car today with my foot on the clutch (it's a manual one - hard to press in) and I simply could not bring myslef to try.  I'm just afraid it will hurt.  Afraid it could mess something up.  Afraid I won't be able to do it and then I'll have to sell that car - which I don't want to do.  LOL  I hope maybe one day, I can get up the nerve.  If I do, I will be sure and post back here!  :-) 

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.