Infliximab or surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My Dad has Crohn's and has been given a choice. He is 72 and currently has a drain fitted due to a fistula. He has had crohns for 36 years and this is the first major flare up since surgery way back then (in which they removed some of his bowel.). We have been given the option of Infliximab or surgery and I just wonder what everyone's take is on this drug? (As it's quite new) We are also in 2 minds as to what to do because 9 years ago he had bladder cancer and is now in remission from that.

Any advice much appreciated. TIA.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, First of all let me say that I am sorry to hear about your dad. I like your dad was diagnosed with crohns some years ago 52 yrs to be exact I am now 77. I have had two bowel resections several other related operations including the last one which was the removal of my left kidney. So I do appreciate what your dad is going through.

​Ironically I have never been on any of these new drugs so I cannot comment. I do belong to my local crohns and colitis society and there are several members who are taking these drugs, but it is like everything what suits one person does not always suit another. I would think that it would be worth a try. Surgery is a last resort, but it does in knock you about and the older you get the longer it takes to recover.  I am sorry I cannot be of more help. What ever decision your dad makes I hope that he benifts from it.  Keep me informed as to his progress.

• Posted

I agree with decndor try the drug first. I had it a few years ago but had no benefits so ended up having surgery, but a lot of people have good results with Infliximab. Hope your dad feels better very soon x
  • Posted

Hi there. I was on Infliximab and it worked fine for me but only the longer sessions. As soon as they went from 8 hours to 2 hours I started getting reactions and rashes. Also I had loss of breath and a tight chest sometimes I felt like I was going to pass out. But like I said that was when they switched me to the 2 hour session. The 8 hour was absolutely fine and it worked really well. I didn't have any sign of it and for the first time in 3 years i was able to love a normal life and even go travelling around asia with no problems at all.

I wish your dad the best and I hope this can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.