i am suffering from severe depression, i want to change the way i am living, what should i do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

i am 41 years old male and suffering from severe depression. i am also suffering from claustrphobia, which causes anxiety and panic attacks resulting in diarrhea. i feel bad about everything i did a day before and if there isn't anything from the day before then my mind would dig some thing from the past which will put me in depression. there is nothing in life that excites me and i lose interest in everything very quickly. if i want to get out of my comfort zone and do things, i'll have anxiety and some times panic attacks. i can not travel or go out with friends untill unless i take some anti anxiety pills. my life is restricted to my room only and i hardly go out. these are few things i shared here, hopefully i'll get some positive ideas. i am also taking zoloft 50mg per day.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jqb,

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy?  It's helped me sooo much! I still have issues, but am better. I go out a little more then I used to, but often I will make excuses not to go out.

I am sorry you are deling with this, I remember thinking when I was 50, jeeeze, I should be over this by now!  But it lasted till I got CBT.

I also changed what I ate too, switched to a palio diet of whole foods only, no sugar excect for the little fruit I eat and occasionally some maple syrup. It is hard, but doable!  Getting propper nutrition is something most folks do not get. My ND said, "if you have to read the ingredients, don't eat it"  

I took Zoloft when younger, it only worked a year for me then stopped. for 25 years Ive been off all meds.  I am not all over the sadness and isolation, but I am better.

Hope this info helps

• Posted

Thank you dee53012 for sharing ur thoughts. yes i have tried cbt and it really did help me along with the medicine. but last year i missed my one appointment and the next appointment was after a month so i stopped cbt.

i do eat fruits and other healthy foods. but things are not really working out.

• Posted

jqb,

Have you had a full bood panal?  I implore you to get tested for celiac disease. make the doc dig deeper. If you ahev CD, the food you think is healthy may not be.

best to you,

d

• Posted

hi dee,

yes i did all kind of tests over the period of time and been on different medication but nothing helped me except for antidepressants and i've been diagnosed with IBS and there is no cure for it except for anti depressants.

thank you

jqb

• Posted

How long have you been on your medicine?
    • Posted

hi jacqueline48380,

i have just started taking zoloft 50mg for the past eleven days after an year and half but have been on anti depressants for more then five years.

• Posted

Cbt is an option,but to be honest it only helps a small proportion,and those it does help it tends to be short term. Ask for some proper Psychotherapy. If the meds arent working, don't take them, theres little point

• Posted

OMgoodness, CBT saved my life many times!  Guess it is differnt for all folks!  CBT helped me change my unhelpful thinking into very helpful thinking.  
    • Posted

hi jmcg2014,

cbt did help me a lot along with proper medication. its just that one needs somebody to listen to you and give you positive energy without being judgemental.

• Posted

50mg of Zoloft wouldn't make me blink, perhaps you ourght to try adding a Nuraphen or Parcetamal and you should feel better.

• Posted

hi brian43985,

i've just started taking zoloft 50mg and its been only 11days. i hope it works out for me.

• Posted

Hello jqb I do understand what you are going through. I deal with some of the same symptoms. I was in the military which didn't help matters. but I will say yes it has been a struggle on top of dealing with health issues. One thing i.thank God for is the VA. they truly have been on too.of things in mental health. I have my own psychiatrist and pharmacist who is strictly control of my meds I take Wellbutrin XL hydroxyzine for anxiety and I take Ambien for sleep whenever I go to sleep most nights I'm up because I can't sleep I come from a very hurtful pass that still exist today but I take one day at a time and I pray and ask God to continue to heal my hurting heart. As well as the elements in my health moved everything negative in my life life that include family and it was not easy to do I fight to maintain peace of mind in my life. For you I don't know if you have been referred to counseling but I do believe it will be very helpful as well as making sure that the meds that you are on are working because I must say for me they are now working and trust me they've had to adjust it at least 5 times but now I do feel the effects of it working and I'm grateful for that because it allows me to become more level headed it's easy to let the negative have control refuse to now when it comes to getting out that's something that I'm still working on as well as I do not like being in a room full of people it causes anxiety for me being in a room by myself watching sports or a good movie is wonderful enough for me the VA has a lot of opportunities for me to learn how to engage with people and finding out what it is I like to do haven't begun that face yet butt I will eventually. I am reminding this up myself even as I speak but find something that you enjoy doing and learn to start doing it believe it or not it's very relaxing for me is sitting in a restaurant watching Netflix and enjoying a nice meal it's a form of being out taking walks is also nice this is just a couple of things and I hope and I pray that this is helpful for you.

• Posted

hi denise 13193,

Thank you for your detailed reply and sharing your story. i am already feeling good for being on an online forum where i can see that i am not alone and there are also people who are going through same condition and they are giving positive energy and thoughts. i also had bad experiances in my past and i coped with them successfully. but now i somehow became care free. my mind only thinks what will i lose or miss if i dont do certain things and it gives me excuses for not doing things. i have been on antidepressants for five years. and in the same time period i used to go to gym and i stopped gym i went for walk. i made sure that i meet friends and people and go for vacations but all ends up feeling depressed. nothing excites me any more and there is no spark in life for me. i do watch movies and seasons and feel good at the time but the next morning when i wake up i feel bad thinking that i could have utilised my time in some better activity.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.