Date is Set

Posted , 16 users are following.

Went to see the surgeon today and the surgery is set for November 7.  So now I can stop freting over getting a date to fretting over the surgery iteself lol!  Two 1/2 weeks is probably good to limit my amount of fretting and compulsive list making.  The surgery will be the posterior approach and its done on an outpatient basis.  A nurse and a Physical Therapist will come the very next day to check on me and then come 3 - 4 times during the week between the two of them.  Thanks to everyone here for their encouraging words!  It does help to know what to expect.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle I'm in a similar position, had my pre op yesterday and this answered lots of questions re anaesthetic choice etc - decided on spinal with sedation. Also found out my surgeon uses dissolving stitches so that's a relief! I'm going to be in for 4 days so surprised to hear you are an outpatient - very brave! Hope you've got someone at home to help you.My date is Nov 3rd so all over very soon now. Good luck to you!

• Posted

My husband works from home and my son goes to school online so I will have plenty of help.  My surgeon explained it as the main thing the hospital will do for you is give you pain meds.  We make sure that you have pain meds to take with you and make sure that you are good enough to be home and then release you.  I think some of it has to do with the fact that I'm 47 and do not have any other health complications.  I am nervous but they are having me go to a PT session prior to my surgery to learn how to get into a car, walk stairs, exercises, etc.  Good luck on your surgery! 

• Posted

My op is 1st November..pre op next Mon ..glad there is a few of us getting it done at same time ...I've been OK nerve wise till this week ,but had such a terrible/painful day yesterday that it now can't come soon enough ..can feel my anxiety levels rising ..but I'm sure we will all do just fine ..take care gx 

• Posted

Hi Gail Yes I agree it's reassuring to have quite a few of us in touch during our THR. I'm only a couple of days after you so it would be nice to share experiences and keep our spirits up!wink

• Posted

Those days keep us on track in knowing we have to get this done!  My husband says its a good thing I don't have too much time to think about the surgery between getting work to a good place and the things I have to get done for the surgery (assessment testing, etc.)  Good luck to you during your surgery!

• Posted

Outpatient ? Dear lord .. Makes my eyes smart . What part of the world do you live ?
    • Posted

I,m with you on this,I know I need at least 3 to 4 days to feel almost confident that I can manage.and even that is daunting.Each of us are differnt pain wise but its a long haul anyway.And after reading different notes on here we know that we will all get through it,In and out in one day I couldnt do,I have not heard of that befor.J
    • Posted

I'm in Columbus, Ohio.  They are having me attend a joint replacement class and a PT session prior to the surgery to prepare me for being home and to give me any equipment I'll need.  They make sure I have an extremely strong painkiller for breakthrough pain and a normal level painkiller for normal pain.  They also have a nurse and a PT person come to my house the day after.  They also don't send me home until I can move around with the walker and have the pain controlled.  I'm 47 and don't have any other medical complications so according to my surgeon this allows me to go home, give myself my meds and rest.  They do the surgery at a surgery center specifically for ortho surgeries.  He said that being in a hospital means you don't get as much rest that first day as you could becuase they wake you up every hour and you are exposed to a higher level of infection.  I'm anxious about it, but I trust my surgeon.  He's the best in the area.

• Posted

hi michelle,

so good to have the date set, isn't it ... 

well, like others, where are you ? I know that my friend in Los Angeles was discharged on 2nd day post-op - I live in Holland and had a 4 nights stay ...

come back here any time you have a question or concern okay? 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I'm in Columbus Ohio.  and this forum has been a life saver!  It helps to hear from those that have been there!

• Posted

Are they doing the anterior approach?    a lot less restrictions than posterior -

They know what they are doing ... and your surgeon is right about the lack of rest rolleyes in the hospital ... and higher risk of infection ... very considered of him ... 

you are a lucky girl

• Posted

They are doing the posterior approach.  My surgeon said that although there may be a little slower healing, by week 4 both approaches have the patient at the same level of healing.  He also prefers the posterior approach and I wwant him to use the approach that he is the best at. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

• Posted

I wonder how you are going to do this in and out in one day,is this a personal choice or is it what is done in your area.We all are going to go through this and we know we come out the other side pain free,but it is a long jurney to full recovery.I,d be interested to know more if your up to disscussing it,Ive just never heard of this method befor.I have researched all aspects of the op and basicly everyone is the same.I like a lot of others are nervous even some quite afraid but it is a neccesary op so we have to get on with it,but out patient is one Ive never heard of. Please keep in touch,we are all in the same boat and swapping notes is such a help.All the best lovey.J.
    • Posted

It wasn't a personal choice.  This is what the surgeon said happens with his people.  I've read that most people spend at least 2 days in the hospital so I'm a little apprehensive, but I have complete trust in my surgeon.  And if worst comes to worst, they will admit me to the hospital if necessary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.