Is this my first migraine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good evening everyone, thanks in advance for taking time out give me advice. I think I experienced my first migraine today, but I'm a little worried. I always have tension and tightness in my shoulders and neck as I have desk job, but last night was different. I had a pretty stressful day at work and my muscles were a little more tense than usually, right before I went to bed it got worse to the point where i couldnt relax. I finally rubbed some muscle cream on and went to sleep. This morning I woke up with a dull headache and some more stiffness in my neck and shoulders so I called in to work to be a few hours late. Finally the most of the headache went away but i remained a little tense and stiff throughout the day. Towards the end of the day i was sitting at my desk talking to one of my employees when i felt a sharp almost stabbing pain on the right side of my head in the back. Immediately after that i started seeing spots, I started to panic a bit and then tried to focus as I also struggle with anxiety issues. The spots turned into a half circle with zig zags all in it and it was a brighter aura if you will, everything to the left side of that circle was just white and the rest of my vision was blurry. This lastest for about 15-30 minute. I immediately called my husband and he came and got me from work. By the time i got home the vision was back but then the intense headache/migraine set it. At this point it has subsided a bit and now its barely hanging on. I'm a little worried as to if it is a migraine or something more serious. Not sure if anyone can help but I am pretty young I'm 24 and average height and weight. If you can please help. I'm positive I'll be be up all night worrying, and I need to know if i need to make a drs appointment or chalk it up as something normal for a migraine. Please help!

Signed,

one anxiety ridden girl.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've heard these symptoms described before related to migraines, but it wouldn't hurt to talk to your GP to reassure yourself.

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

try not to become anxious, this only makes it worse, but I realise its easy for me to say and harder for you to do and we as sufferers on here all get anxious at sometime.

Yes, the first port of call is to see your dr and he may refer you to a neurologist to get a precise diagnosis. 

Yes we can all help in some form or another, when you have got your new meds, we can tell you how thses have been for us and of course we can all give you reassurance and support because we know what you are going through.

See your gp and hopefully he will reassure you, but try to insist on an MRI scan and a referal to a neurologist, preferably someone with a particular interest in headaches.  Nag him if necessary!

Good luck Jessica and I hope all goes well.

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care and best wishes

• Posted

Welcome to the group, unfortunately it does sound like you have experienced your first migraine. It would be advisable to get yourself checked out at the doctors, if it is migraines you will find from this group many different experiences of different types of meds, symptoms and everyone is different. Hope this is just a one off and that you don't go on to suffer like some of us. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Jessica, always good to check with your doctor just to be sure it is a migraine and not something needing more treatment.

You say you use muscle cream do you mean the sort that gets warm ? If so can I suggest you look for one that contains Magnesium, here in Aus it is called Bio Ceuticals muscleze I only just found this and it has worked so well. You can also consider taking magnesium tablets on a daily basis. Look for Magnesium Celate not magnesium Oxide. I am not a doctor this is just personal experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.