This is the most horrible condition to have.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had Plantar Fascitiits in my right foot on and off for about 11 months now. This has got to be the most painful, frustrating condition that I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. It has completely disrupted my quality of life. I have had 5 cortisone injections in the last 11 months. It gets better, but never completely goes away, and then comes back. I had this many years ago, (don't remember which foot it was in), but I had 1 or 2 cortisone injections and it went away and never came back until now. I'm getting very worried that I'm never going to get rid of this. It has become completely obvious to me that I am doing something to 

re-aggravate it, but I have no idea what I am doing, I am on my 2nd podiatrist, due to an insurance change,  and am seriously thinking about  seeing an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot issues to see about having PF release surgery. I am so tired of dealing with this. I only work part time, about 25 hours a week, and even that is becoming difficult. I am not an athlete, runner and I don't walk much, but need to more due to a back injury, but cannot now due to this. I have no idea how or why I got this. Some days I feel like I just want to cut off my foot to make the pain stop. I had new $450.00 custom orthotics made by my new podiatrist, have been doing stretches and am wearing a night splint. I am taking Mobic 7.5 mg twice a day as well as Naproxen twice a day to try to get the inflammation under control. I am becoming very depressed and don't look forward to getting out of bed in the morning not knowing if I'm going to be able to make it through the day without intense pain. This is such a frustrating condition. I cannot even do daily activities like grocery shopping, laundry or cook dinner. I just want to have the surgery and be done with this. Has anyone had PF release surgery and can tell me what it's like and a little bit about the recovery time? My current podiatrist is conservative and wants to wait on surgery, but I don't know how much more I can take. 

Thank you. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I feel your pain. I've had it on and off since April. I also can't figure out why sometimes I am almost pain free and think I am almost cured and then boom I am in dire pain again. I have found that taping my foot helps and continue to do it even though doc doesn't believe in it. Also I wear support socks at night and when I have to stand a lot. Doc gave me orthotics and they seem to help. Today I wore them to the pumpkin patch did wAlk a lot without pain. So I am hopeful again. I think you have to find out what helps you. A lot of people find the gel inserts helpful but they did nothing for me. Hang I need there. !!! Good luck. Also my doc told me to ice my foot. I have to be more consistent with that

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I have read about taping, but my doctor never really told me about it. He just gave me the cortisone injection, and rushed out the door. That's why I'm considering getting another opinion. I can probably tapes my foot myself, but not sure what to do or what to use. Could you tell me wha to buy and how to do it? 

• Posted

You can look online for instructions. I ordered rock tape online also it's about 18$ for a really long roll.

• Posted

go on youtube and look up Low - Dye taping - they aey are all a ittle different- find the one best for you - a way you can do it and which is functional in relieving your pain

look up some of my other posts 

• Posted

I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  My plantar fasciitis began around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation in the area of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone.  This begins from trauma and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia (just a few fibers) that results, naturally, in inflammation which is the body's way of healing any tissue injury.  Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  

So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion your heel!!!  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  (I plan to use them indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wear a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone. 

That's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.  doknabox

• Posted

Hi,  I have just returned from hospital. Following a bout of pf in both feet I needed to have surgery for other problems discovered during an MRI . I had the surgery 1st  May and due to allergic reaction I am going back to have metal removed from my feet on Monday. Surgery is a last resort and if you have pf look into improving your blood circulation to your feet, I found this was some of the cause of mine, along with wearing very flat non supportive footwear and slippers a lot. I now wear supportive shoes at all times, do not take one step without support, I wear Birkenstocks but others wear other sorts of shoes, and inserts when in other footwear, it is important to support the arch of your foot.  Really rest the foot as much as possible and cushion when you can. Rest is really the only cure. Surgery involves round the clock help and being in non=weight bearing cast for weeks.  Definately think hard before going down that route,  Even going to the toilet is a mammoth task if you can't walk. Hopping on crutches is not easy, and a fall can cause you major problems as I have found out.It is inflammation and you need to calm this down, improve your blood supply by wearing supportive circulation socks etc. I found these helped me a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.