UFE in my near future

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello ladies, so I'm on my path for a UFE. I have fibroids that are causing me to look pregnant and messing with my bladder. The doctor said the UFE doesnt necessarily shrink fibroids. What are some experiences? did they shrink or no? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Normy,

I had a UFE a year ago this week and am due at the hospital next Monday to discuss my progress with the interventional radiologist.

At 6 months I had a scan and my fibroids had shrunk by half - one was 13cm and the other 5cm before the procedure. The blood supply to the fibroids has been cut off.

I was told prior to the procedure that the best I could expect was 50-60% chance of shrinkage.

My pressure symptoms have improved dramatically, prior to the procedure I would be up to the toilet 2-3 times every night which was exhausting.

My periods are still not as light as I would have hoped. They generally start early by 3-5 days every month and I have 1-2 days of heavy flow (through super tampon and pad every 1-2 hours) this is really frustrating as it still impacts my life as I don't have the confidence to be out of the house or away from a toilet for any length of time.

So from my point of view it's an improvement and I would do it again. Howeve I'm interested to find out what else if anything can be done to improve my periods.

Unfortunately I have a history of blood clots so certain medications I can't have and surgery would be a last resort.

I hope this has helped you a little. Good luck and I hope you have a successful procedure x

• Posted

Hi Normy,

I had a UFE in April. I have recently been scanned. My fibroid

only shrunk by 1cm and is classed as a failure. As I don't want any

more children and my symptoms are so severe I am now in

Esma and looking at a hysterectomy soon.

However, I know that most times it does work. All I can suggest

is do your homework and don't be railroaded into a decision

that's not right for you.

Keep us informed how you get on. Best of luck xxx

• Posted

Hmmm I just had ufe 7 days ago and the whole purpose was to help with stomach pressure and frequent Urination. I will be extremely disappointed if they don't shrink but that was why I had the procedure. Sorry I am not long enough in to know if my procedure was a success. I have heard and read that the procedure is not a 100% success rate

• Posted

I've read many articles and forums. Seems like they should shrink. Or at the very least go from that hard texture to a spongelike texture and relieve some pressure inside. Well here's to hoping and praying. For sure will do an update w my progress.

• Posted

Hi Normy

I had a UFE about 12 months ago and it definitely shrunk my fibroids.  Post surgery my uterus shrunk from 21x8x17cm to 9.8x7x7.3cm, and my periods (which used to last 2 weeks and were crazy heavy) are now 2 days max, and very light.  That said, although the UFE is less invasive than a myomectomy, the recovery is pretty brutal.  I expelled 4 fibroids which is probably why I had such shrinkage - they tell you this could happen but nevertheless, it is a bit shocking when you expel large ones.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi you must have had a few smaller/medium sized ones? Where were they situated? If you don't mind  asking? Are there ony certain types that expel? Ie in the womb lining? I have but is massive &in the wall so I don't think t can expel?

• Posted

Hi Heather

This time round I had about 5 ranging from 5-7cm.  2 were submucosal, 2 subserosal and one intramural (which started degenerating prior to surgery).  I must stress this was my 4th procedure in what has been a decade long battle with fibroids.  I've had an open myomectomy, x 2 hyperscopic myomectomies and finally UFE.  I'm 45, no kids but felt the UFE was my only option (bar a hysterectomy).  Each woman's experience is different but I had a good result.  x

• Posted

forgot to add, the degenerating fibroid was the first one I expelled and it was the size of a potato, the rest were much smaller.
    • Posted

So that was inttramural (in the uterine wall) & you expelled it? How can that happen? I thought they'd just shrink, calcify & stay in the uterine wall? Please tell.

• Posted

apparently yes, intramural fibroids start within the lining but can grow outwards.  I only had one degenerating fibroid and and this was expelled.
    • Posted

Omg. That's insane. I've heard of people expelling them (a lady from work) so I have my ufe scheduled on the 17th. Was hoping to only take a week off from work.....

• Posted

I know right!  After I posted my reply I rechecked my notes to be sure. I had a hyperscopic myomectomy in the summer, and this was to remove any fibroid protruding into the uterus (submucosal), then the UFE in December.  Strange thing is between that op and my UFE my symptoms didn't improve and I actually posted elsewhere that I could feel something when I inserted a tampon (sorry to be graphic).  So either they didn't do a very good job with the myomectomy (and left fibroid tissue which became necrotic and i eventually expelled) or the degenerating intramural fibroid got expelled. 

in terms of your procedure, I think you should consider more than a week off work.  Each woman is different but the UFE takes a lot out of you. 

Good luck with your procedure

• Posted

Omg where u ever so right. I'm an on day 6 and it feels like I'm only getting worse. I woke up yesterday to such an unbearable pain, I actually went back to the doctor to make sure I was ok. The first 2 days were a breeze for me. What a false sense of confidence. I am still in so much pain if I don't take my meds on a timed basis. I did end up taking another week off. As of now, I can barely walk without being somewhat hunched over. Every night I pray that the next morning will b the day I wake up half way normal. This procedure is taking Lighylt because of the insertion Point being a couple cm , if that but oh man this is a major procedure. What goes on inside your body afterwards is damn near entering the gates of hell as far as pain goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.