Meningioma

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 63 year old female who finished treatment for lymphoma a year ago. During a routine scan a 12mm sphenoid ridge meningioma was found. Tomorrow I'm having another MRI with a follow-up appointment in November to discuss my options. What I am desperate to know is, does every meningioma patient have a biopsy and can a malignant meningioma be treated with Gamma Knife surgery? Would be grateful to hear from any meningioma patients.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Did you ever find the answer to your question? Would be grateful for any information you have.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah. Well I had my appointment with the inconvenience/neurologist who was absolutely lovely. He told me that in 24 years he has only come across 2 or 3 malignant Meningioma and mine doesn't look like one of them from the MRI (which he took great pleasure in showing me). So no biopsy thank goodness. Because it had only grown a very tiny bit he's going to reassess me in me and if it has grown a little bit he's going to put me forward for Gamma Knife. So roll on May when I can find out. I get the feeling you were asking me for a reason, is there something that you are worried about? I'm happy to help.

• Posted

Thank you very much for reply. I have just be diagnosed With sphenoid ridge/wing. To cut a long story short been backward and forwards to hospital for last 18 months because of a swollen eye and finally last week diagnosed. And hospital have just said sorry we missed it but it doesn't matter it's slow growing. Will just watch and wait. See you in 3 months. So sadly on google and forums trying to find information. Really don't fancy 6 hour plus surgery drilling into skull and then come across gamma knife. Was looking to see if could have it with my kind of tumour. Private (if can afford it) or NHS I am a bit stressed and not happy with hospital at minute!

• Posted

As far as I am aware they will not perform gamma knife on a meningioma bigger than 3 cms. Sometimes surgery is carried out through an incision in the eye brow. I believe they're also reluctant to perform gamma knife if the patient has symptoms. This is because gamma knife does not remove the tumour to allow symptoms to be alleviated, it merely prevents it from growing any bigger, although sometimes there is some shrinkage, whereas invasive surgery removes the tumour to alleviate the symptoms. I'm guessing that as your eye is swollen gamma knife is probably not an option. All the patients that I have been in contact with who have had invasive surgery have had good results and trouble free recovery, so please try not to stress unduly, our health service is fantastic. Please message me if you have any questions, I'm happy to chat.

• Posted

Thank you for that information all very helpful. I believe my tumour is 8mm. But I had a biopsy in August because hospital believed it was a swollen gland. So now tumour is only 4mm as they took some away! Apart from my eye being swollen. I have passed all eye tests. Everything works perfect. No other symptoms at all. So might still be hope. I have also read about surgery going well for other. But I really really don't fancy it at all! Thank you again you been very helpful and I will look up the eye brow surgery never heard of that one.

• Posted

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on. The normal surgical procedure is to remove a square of the cranium (skull) to access the tumour which is then replaced after the tumour has been removed. This may still be an option for me as well, have to wait and see what is said in May. Not a good month for me, I got diagnosed with lymphoma in May 2015 and it's my birthday LOL

• Posted

Not good bless you. Happy birthday, Merry Christmas and let's hope for lots of better news in 2017!

I will let you know how I get on. Doctors said another appointment in about 3 months.

If you don't mind would be interested to know how you get on in May. And good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for that. If I forget message me and I'll be happy to let you know what was decided. But make sure you message me in 3 months when you've had your next appointment. Have a happy Christmas and trust me, we'll both be fine x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.