Small Inguinal Hernia - Surgery Required ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi..Here's my situation :

I was diagnosed with right inguinal hernia last year, and immediately opted for surgery as the pain in my groin and testicles was killing me. The surgery went well and the recovery too. There has been no problem with it up until now (apart from rare fleeting groin discomfort after I exercise a lot).

Now, the thing is I have developed a small inguinal hernia on the left side. It doesn't pain much, neither there is any bulge, but there's occasional discomfort lasting a few hours to 2 days at max. The discomfort is not as bad as the one I had on the right side (before the surgery). I visited the same surgeon who operated my right side, and he suggested to get the left one operated too (although he said  this time the hernia was small and that it could get bigger later on).

I decided to delay the surgery this time. Its been 6 months now since the diagnosis, the discomfort has more or less remained the same (still no bulge), and I still can't decide on the surgery ? Any suggestions ?

PS : I've insurance cover and it doesn't cost me anything to get operated. The only reason for delay is the fear of surgery (inspite of have undergone the procedure successfully once before) sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

For what it's worth, my surgeon advised me to have surgery on my (small) hernia on the grounds that the chances of a longer lasting fix was better with a treated small hernia than leaving it to grow.  As my operation was only two weeks ago, and the discomfort & pain is not insignificant, I wouldn't want to go through the process again - well not for some time anyway.  In your position, I would talk to as many experts as I could find - including my gp.  There are probably published papers on the effects of untreated hernias as set against the risks of problems caused by surgery.  No easy answers, I suspect.

• Posted

It sounds like you have found a good surgeon so perhaps go forward knowing it should go well. I've been less happy with my repair 4 months ago and don't think the surgeon was that much of an expert. As you say, hernias never get better and will probably get worse.

• Posted

Hello p12364,

I hear your pain and I understand. Opting to have surgery is a big step. I had surgery 6 months ago with mesh placed to cover the opening. The incision still has not totally healed. I cannot imagine having to experience being cut again when the the first incision has not healed.

Give it so.easy thought and weigh the pros and cons. Perhaps get a 2nd opinion. Whatever your decision, I pray you get better soon. Be blessed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.