Early menopause, depression and just started this drug

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am 44 years old and am in full fledged menopause. I have been depressed, moody, had hot flashes, sweats and no period for well over a year. So had blood work done and (fsh and lh) results showed I was in menopause. My doctor explained that my serotonin levels are extremely low and thought fluo would help regulate my nerves and state of mind. I just started today, so I thought I would join this group to help her through this.

Is anyone else on this to help with menopause?

Thanks,

Gracie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gracie, I am too...going into menopause (periods all over the place, heavy heavy bleeding, spotting, very rarely NOT bleeding right nowsad ) I am 48, have PCOS and suffer from depression and anxiety. I was at an all time low as i'd lost my Mum last year...and now that means i've lost both my Mum and Dad...and suffered 2 miscarriages...although thankfully I am blessed to have an 18 year old much-longed for daughter and a great hubby. I started on Fluoxetine 12/13 weeks ago now and came onto this group last week feeling very low...and since then I have been picked up and listened and talked and feel so much better. This group is absolutely fantastic and its amazing how it feels to know you are not alone...and that we actually do share a lot of common problems and life stories...this is definitely the place to be and everybody will help you anytime you need it. It has certainly been a lifeline to me x

• Posted

Hi Gracie, I know exactly how you feel, although I was 52 . My irritability was huge, like having only 3 days a month without pms! Also low mood to say the least. The fluoxetine worked perfectly, 20mg per day and I still take it now almost 10 years on. My doctor says it won't harm me and I need to control mild depression.

It was quite unusual to take it for menopause 10 years ago, but numerous studies have shown the benefits.

I hope it works for you and wish you well.

Susie

• Posted

I am going through the same irregular periods, anxiety and panic disorder. I hit rock bottom in June and started taking flouextine. I am not going to lie the first 3 weeks on Flouextine was horrendous because of side effects my life was virtually non existent it took around 10 weeks to finally get over the effects but I can honestly say being on them has made a big difference to my life. Yes I still get anxiety and bad days but good days are more than bad.

My advice change diet no processed foods, cut out sugar, reduce caffeine. Good supplements too take are flaxseed oil and Magnesium. You could also try bio identical hormone cream (uk doctors aren't keen as it's not licensed but in America they are main stream HRT treatment) this has made great difference to me.

Keep talking on here they are a really helpful group of people who can offer reassurance when needed

My

• Posted

Hi,

I am 48 years old and going through the same thing. I was taking 20 mg of fluoxetine for 7 weeks and just upped it to 25mg last week. I am still having my periods, night sweats, depression, anxiety, and now health anxiety. I have lost about 15 lbs since July when my oldest brother died from a drug overdose. My anxiety and depression went through the roof so I went to my theraprist and go put back on Fluoxetine. It worked for me 6 years ago but seem to be having a harder time with it working now, I am also taking .25 mg of klonopin two time a day for my anxiety. 

I cry at least once a day and I always worry that there is something medically wrong with me. I have been to the doctors and had a uteris biopsy which was negative but now going to have a vaginal ultra sound. I worry because I am eating really well but not putting the weight back on. I am sure my anxiety is most likely the cause but I worry all the time about it.

Feel like I am losing my mind many days. I think alot of it due to menopause but I just want to feel like myself again.

Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.