Slightly concerned

Posted , 14 users are following.

So I will be having my repair done on Friday 28th. I asked dr how long off work.(not worried because I can take long as I need with my employer) but doc said I could probably be back Monday! Really? She said I can take a few days off if I need too. I will feel sore like i just had a baby. This is quite different than what I've heard you all say. Kinda strange. The thing is I have one of the top docs and I totally trust her. Input?

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'd be more than slightly concerned. A few days ??? More like weeks. At least 6 to 8 but probably even more than that. Is she for real? It's nothing like being sore after having had a baby. This is major surgery. Take all the time your employer will let you have.You will need to rest as much as you possibly can,don't lift anything,don't bend over to pick anything up. Seriously. If you want your repair to be a success you really have to take it very,very easy. Good luck on the 28th 

• Posted

Oh I definitely will. I have researched this up and down. I WILL Not ruin my repair for anything! Lol
  • Posted

What kind of repair are you having?

If it's a broken nail, yes Monday will be fine. but a prolapse repair? Is your Dr mad?

• Posted

Idk maybe I misunderstood but I don't think so. I am having rectocele repair + getting my tubes tied

• Posted

I had an ileostomy surgery 10 days ago, and due for a triple compartment repair on the 14th November, I was slightly worried that I wouldn't be recovered before my next surgery my gynae said I will be fine and walking out the day after surgery as if it was nothing!

• Posted

Yes that's the impression I'm getting from my MD. Really Strauss she is one of the top mds. Maybe at my pre-op things will sound different

• Posted

Oh man!!! I have not heard of anyone going back that fast! I don't work (thank goodness!) and it has been almost six weeks. I still need a nap just about every day. If you go back too soon, your surgery has a bigger chance of not being successful and end up doing all over again. Take as much time off as you are allowed. Unfortunately, you will probably need it.

• Posted

Yes I definitely will. I have a strictly desk job thankfully and if I need to (when I do go back) I can take naps here lol
  • Posted

That sound a bit strange

My dr told me to take 6 weeks leave

I thought no way 4 weeks will be enough

No

She was absolutely right and i had to take another 2 to continue my recovery.

What repair are you having done?

• Posted

Blimey not heard that before.

My surgeon said 6 weeks minimum is best but that at a push if I was self employed and worked at home from a lap top he said maybe 3-4 weeks if I needed the money or to keep a business running.

Could she have been joking?

Make sure you get a GP to write you a sick note.

Good luck with the op anyway xx

• Posted

Yes I also offered to work from home for a while. Thankfully all I do at my job is sit on my butt lol
    • Posted

Hi Steph. Which country are you in and which planet is she on? Here in UK we're advised 4-6 weeks min! Some of us need much longer depending how quickly we heal. Ask your GP for a sick note if you don't get one from he hospital. I'm sure he/she will oblige. rolleyes

• Posted

Oh goodness! I had my tubes tied some years ago - that was a week to recover - mainly due to the anaesthetic! ( I can get very sick after one!) I was a bit sore after that but really not bad.

I had a rectocele repair done this April. To be fair I had little pain post-operatively and very little bleeding............but...........and it's a big but...........things were not healed because I had no pain. I could walk and sit ok. Standing still was a no no and to an extent still is but that's because of other problems since. I had 12 weeks off work andthen a weeks holiday. I needed that 12 weeks - I do do a physical job - have to be able to carry equipment and get up and down off the floor - but still. You will not be better after a week. It is major surgery. My consultant signed me off for six weeks - no questions - and he said that was an absolute minimum. The anaesthetic alone will take at least a week to clear your system. Also check your car insurance - I was told no driving for a minimum 6 weeks - you may not be insured if you drive  - you will not be able to do an emergency stop effectively and if you do it can damage the repair due to the pressure you exert through.

However I do hope all goes well. Get some box sets in and make sure the sofa is comfy!

• Posted

Oh my goodness I am in the US. My md is apparently from Venus? Lol I'm not worried about sick note. My employer is very accommodating I've been there forever

• Posted

I am 4.5 weeks post posterior repair and tvt. Even if you feel better do not work, do not go on long walks, even walking can have consequences such as crippling labour like pains lasting days. I'll be off 6-8 weeks minimum, it's been very challenging between stitches like sitting on glass to labour pains. You could easily ruin the repair and it need doing again, just because your feeling better please don't overdo it as it will be so painful. Remember that everything gets moved so new muscles are holding everything up and boy it hurts, good luck.

• Posted

Thank you very much for the advice. Will definitely follow it
    • Posted

I'm in the US also. Had a rectocele and cycetele repair with a "ACELL" mesh. Didn't have to much pain. Just ache in the butt, like you were kicked. Not enough to take pain meds. My doctor told me 6 weeks of doing very little short walks. Not picking up more than 5 pounds, no bending. And to keep everything loose.

3 months for complete recovery.

But that's not what they say here, I'm listening to you girls.

Good luck with surgergy.smile

• Posted

Lol yeah she said I will be sore and to not lift anything and take it easy for 6 weeks but still odd
    • Posted

Oh also where in US are you? I'm in California ps how was sex after repairs? Tightened up? Sorry if I've asked you already lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.