Afterimages...

Posted , 2 users are following.

So yeah, I've been experiencing odd symptoms lately, and this one is the most concerning, afterimages I'm not sure why I am seeing them, so for me I only see them if its a dark object in a bright environment or a bright object in dark environment, and the colour white, for example in a dimly lit room I could stare at the white trim on the wall and then look at the wall and see a big, black line resembling the trim, or another example I could stare at a chimney on a house and then look at the sky and see the outline of that chimney, they don't retain the same colour as this original image though. So yeah, I am very concerned because I am very young and my dream job requires eyesight. Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This is totally normal .      Staring at anything will induce that image on your retina and when you look away you will see the image or something resembling the image but in colours that are usually complementary to the original colours.  You have just discovered one of those things that most people discover when they are young. A lot of so-called "religious images" can be produced in this way.

• Posted

So you are telling me this is normal? Im not sure, does it ever go

Away? I don't want to have to deal with this. Thank you for sharing

Your knowledge.

• Posted

Also, when you say people use it for religious images, do you mean they just st stare at a bright cross or something and then look in a dark room? Sorry for all of the questions, I am just curious, thank you!
  • Posted

There is a condition called Palinopsia but this is not only observing after images. It can be caused by medication and other stimuli but you would be reporting other symptoms as well as after images.   Are you sure you are not just becoming obsessive and deliberately staring at things so you get an afterimage. The longer you stare and the brighter the contrast in light the longer the images will last.   You dont say how old you are,just that you are very young.   
    • Posted

Sorry for the lack of information, I am 14 years old, and other symptoms I've been experiencing include entoptic phenomenon and floaters that's about it visually, and yes I do find myself just staring at objects to see an afterimage out of concern, so I am not entirely sure what is happening, but I really appreciate your support, thank you very much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.