Second TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

It's been months since i last posted on this site.  I had my right TKR 10 months ago and will be having my left TKR op on Monday, i know what's in front of me this time so i'm hoping that will help me when things start getting me down, which they will becuase this is a long journey as we all know but here are some positives.  The stiffness gets better, you will stop shuffling along like one of the walking dead, the pain goes away, this is like a breath of fresh air, the tightness around the knee eases and you no longer feel that your head is going to explode because of the pressure.  The swelling goes away and you no longer feel your looking at an elephants leg,  I am going to keep all these thoughts in my head after the op because as stated by a few people already on this site i honestly don't think any of us are prepared for the long journey after surgery.  And i am going through it all again which proves that things get better or i could just be a crazy person lol.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

My second was a lot easier to deal with than my first.

I was totally prepared mentally, and had already accepted that the next few months would be a write off.

Came home in the usual pain, and the first couple of weeks were pretty much, do nothing but excercises and the odd bit of pottering.

Watch tv in the night with headphones if I couldn't sleep, have easy meals already in freezer. Sleep during day if I felt like it.

Basically the difference was No Stress! I knew it would get better. i think the mental attitude is so much better with the second one, you know it's going to get easier, and it does.

A year later, I forget I've had them both done, a bit of stiffness after sitting for too long, couldn't walk far before I had them done due to spinal issues, so didn't expect too much there.

Good luck you'll be fine!

• Posted

What a brilliant outcome - I could not be happier reading this. Well done you.

I am 7 weeks out from my 1st TKR and doing really well as have done just what you suggest and have taken it very slow and easy.

Was at a social function last night and people were oh really you have had that done ??? Mind you I was sitting on a stool most of the evening !!!

But I do feel I am becoming a strong advocate for this procedure.

Two of my male friends are of similar age to me - 63 - and both need two knees done and are resisting it severely. Their partners are asking me all about it and also asking me to convince their men to get over themselves and get on with life .

One is a musician - I call him an aging rocker - and he can hardly move on stage anymore, plants his feet during a gig and staggers off stage like a drunk !!!

I am wondering if women are more pragmatic about the process.

Anyway - rant over - well done and thank you !!

• Posted

Omg bless you I'm nearly 4 wks post TKR and right now there is noooo way I would have it done again. This tight band feeling round my knee is driving me mad. But good luck your brave

• Posted

Guess what ? That band goes ! I am 7 weeks out and it went at about 5 for me. Exercise really helped and often if it was bad I would do the PT and it would ease it then one day it was just gone. Quite a relief.

Massage to the area and upper thigh with an antiflam cream really helped ease it to as did the ice.

Cheers.

• Posted

Thank you can't wait for band to go stockings to come off only anotha 2half weeks with stockings thank you for your encouragement

• Posted

Oh - I forgot about the stockings already !!! The last week with those was not good as the foot had all shredded lol. I think I didn't last the full 6 weeks maybe dropped the last 3 days !

• Posted

Omg bless you I'm nearly 4 wks post TKR and right now there is noooo way I would have it done again. This tight band feeling round my knee is driving me mad. But good luck your brave

• Posted

Hi there seems

Your post made me feel more positive. Had 4tkr last one Oct last year. Felt it was loose. Gave way and I fell. Got to have investigation and possibly replacing again. Through all this I gained weight got to loose it now before they do anything

• Posted

So great to read your post.  I have to get my other knee done hopefully in the spring. I was having my doubts about it too.  I'm 12 weeks post op and there were days I was hating that I even  had the TKR done.  Hate this healing but certainly don't have the horrible pain before my surgery.  This site has really been great for hope!!  Good luck to you on Monday, know you know what to expect and you probably won't b as stressed with worry if this will ever get better!!

• Posted

Good to hear positive things from you concerning operation # 1 but very sorry to hear you are going to have your body and brain put through it again. 2nd time around gives you a great deal of insight but doesn't make it that much easier. Having been through a bunch of these things I have found each time being the same, yet different. Don't be surprised nor alarmed if there are a few outstanding variances. Good luck and let us know how its going. Good to stay in touch with "family".

• Posted

What a great outcome on hour first TKR I too had my first done about 6 months ago and I feel I had a great result with slow continual improvement until just recently I have developed a sort of bruised battered type pain when I use stairs etc and I'm wondering if you experienced anything like this, I am wondering if this is usual, I've noticed along the way, as the numbness wears off pain increased for a while so maybe this is the case again or may have put a bit of weight on and this is why, I have definitely stopped exercising, do you have any thoughts on this? I wish you all the best for your next operation you sound well prepared Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.