Palindromic Rheumatoid and work

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently had a diagnosis of Palindromic Arthritis and have been put on Sulfasalazine. The meds are giving me a lot of pain and swelling relief but the side effects are debilitating.

My question is, Is there anyone out there with the same condition that is still able to work?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had to look it up to know what this illness was, and the suggestion is to reduce the episodes by staying on hydroxychloroquine.  I take sulfasalazine and I don't have any side effects from it, so I wonder if you can really balme it on that medicine.  It is a fairly benign med, having been around since the 50's.  If it continues to be severe, why not ask for some steroids to curtail the flares?

• Posted

Hi, I too was diagnosed with Palindromic arthritis earlier this year and also taking Sulphasalszine. However I no longer work due to having to take so much time off sick, as you will know this form of arthritis is very unpredictable and you can never tell when you will get a flare up. I was having flares often so in the end had to give up work . I guess it would depend on the individual and also what sort of job you do. Mine was quite physical therefore I had to give it up. Really pleased the Medes are. Working well for you let us know how you are getting on.

Maureen

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to ask about the side affect you are experiencing, Iv not had any apart from stomach pain and that eased when my Rhuematolagist reduced the dose for me . However I was taken off Hydroxyxhloroquine due to sude affects( severe skin irritation)

Maureen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.