Two Options - Arthroscopy or Hip Replacement and Who?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a dilemma.I've had ongoing hip problems for 2 years now.

I had hip arthroscopy 12 months ago, plus several joint injections since. Things are still not great and so have been offered 'another arthroscopy' to address 'SOME' of the problems but not all

I've just got a 2nd opionion and an experienced hip surgeon in my local area said straight away that I need a 'hip replacement'. This was a NHS surgeon so I feel nothing to gain, but it seemed a rather quick decision but it is documented that I have articular cartilage missing on femoral head.

I just feel that I'd like another 'well qualified' person to look at my situation and advise me which way to go. 

My arthroscopy surgeon said my joint is in reasonable condition and it would be a shame to do hip replacement right now, and the second said, it is the only solution and the sooner the better before things get worse. 

Any suggestions/thoughts? I could get another surgeon to take a look, but feel awkward asking for an opinion of which way and who to go to - if they are not going to do the operation!

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Emma

My surgeons view is that you do a THR when the BENEFITS outweigh theRISKs.

This is not just about the x Ray picture but the whole person and their needs and feelings.(his words)

Hppe this helps a little

Janet

• Posted

hi emma, 

wow ... 

I am assuming that an xray was taken - on mine it clearly showed that there was hardly any cartilage left - bone-on-bone so to speak - 

could you go with the hip doctor?   he is right in a way - the sooner the better -

please let us know how you are getting on ..

Could you get a 3rd opinion ?  I can't help you which way and who to go to - I live in Holland, but I am pretty sure that someone on this forum might be able to help you ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Emma

For what it's worth my opinion is have a hip replacement . I understand as a general rule arthroscopy only clears things up for a while but does not last long . I had one on my wrist lasted 6 months before wrist fusion and mother on her knees had knee replacement . As arthritis is a progressive condition it is going to get worse . I had steroid hip injection last June worked a treat for 8 months then wore off . My surgeon sai I could have a few more but I was only delaying the inevitable . I am 56 and as I was fairly young he said I would benefit as I would end up having it eventually anyway . So I am 11 days post THR right hip .Not been a walk in the park. But I don't regret it as I chose to get rid of pain rather than hang onto an arthritic hip that was getting worse . I know someone who is having it done in November who has fought against it in agony for 15 years ... Not my cup of tea! I personally don't see the point of hanging onto a diseased hip but it's a big op so you do need an expert opinion . Good luck X

• Posted

It really depends on how much this is efecting your daily life . A hip replacement is a huge operation but has benefits. You and any surgeon needs to look at the whole picture. Will it only get worse ? In what time frame ?? , can you cope with the level of pain your in ?? , what's the cause?? . My story ............,,Iv just had a hip replacement 2 weeks ago . Born with hip congenital displacement ( sockets the wrong shape) . Missed at birth . Pain since 11 years old . Am now 35 , very young for a hip replacement Kept being put off by my surgeon for years until I was house bound and in horrendous and unable to care for my 3 children. However I now have a long journey ahead of me , physiotherapy, rehabilitation,etc and will be some time before getting my life back on track (3-5) months , but 12 months to be 100% . It shouldn't be a quick decision. I'm going to have to be careful and stay very healthy and look after my hip . And pray it lasts me 25 years 😳 Xxxxxxxxx

• Posted

And reading what Hazil said about steroid injection lasting 8 months , just shows how different every case is . I'd have given anything for my steroid injection to work , but it didn't even last 1 day . Every case is so very different xxx

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Bobbie.. He did say tho that if it works well it is a Defo sign it is totally arthritis !
  • Posted

Thank you all for so much help and advice. I am in a position 2 years on from when it all started, when I really can't stand much more of this persistent, ongoing problem that limits everything I do and everywhere I go. It's not so bad that I can't walk at all - but it is very limited - I can walk for 5 mins the hip area gets sore and more sore the longer I walk on it. I definitely have cartilage missing on the top of the femoral head (fairly extensive) as seen at arthroscopy, and the hyaluronic injections have helped, but my insurance co. wont pay for any more as they are pain relief and only last for 3 months or so. 

Even on a good day, I am limited to walking short distances, getting severe gluteus medius tendonopathy and also si / Back pain. I have to lie down on the sofa every evening rather than sit.

I have two opinions now - more arthroscopy (but only going to sort out one of three issues), or a hip replacement. If I take a 3rd opinion (which I would ilke), then the hip surgeon would say, come to me and I'll do a hip replacement, but I would prefer to have a view from someone who has nothing to gain, but knows about hips and cartilage well enough. Who could advise which surgeon to go to for my particular case - & whether in fact it should be arthroscopy or replacement at this stage now.. I live in the Birmingham area of the UK.

• Posted

Emma

I was in far less pain than you and had a new hip 11 days ago . I could walk about 30 mins without pain but it was there in other ways inhibiting my life . My surgeon talked about quality of life ... Do you want to be in this much pain ? The injection was brilliant but as stated it does not work for everyone . Did not feel a thing for 8 months but it quickly wears off and because you have been confident in walking for a while u may be wearing it out even more . I have to say tho that the immediate post operative pain from the surgery took my breath away as it is quite a brutal surgery but that arthritic hip pain disappears overnight . You will have to weigh up the quality of life issue .. I could never put up with what you have! I know lots of people who have had it done who say it's the best thing ever and it has a general 97 % success rate here in the Uk . Two surgeons said I needed a new hip so I said ok do it ...I think your delaying the inevitable as all treatments for an arthritic hip are temporary measures , it is not going t take that arthritis away .. Depends on your age . I was young enough to ' benefit greatly ' as I am active and it was decrying my life.

• Posted

Ps you could pay privately for a X Ray about £200 I think .. Just say to ur doc you want another opinion ... And go private but make sure it it not a clinic your surgeon / consultant works at or it may be him

Again ! I am sure lots of people ask for 2 nd opinions but it may cost you a small amount ..

• Posted

Could I ask one more thing - I have private health insurance that will pay for surgery - or I have option of NHS route.  SO.... if you could go to ANY surgeon (Central England/Midlands area) who would you go to and why? (presume you are allowed to say on here, apologies if not).
    • Posted

Sorry Emma I am in Wales.. I believe there is a site like rate your surgeon or doctor so google it . I had an NHS operation in a private hospital paid for by NHS.. The hospital was superb and far better than my experience of NHS hospital .. If I could afford to go private for anything in future I would chose the spire group .. Amazing .
  • Posted

Iv posted a link about top surgeons it's still waiting to come through because of the link X top surgeons in the uk x

• Posted

Emma, 

I have been thru 3 THR over the past 20 years. 

I hope to clear up some of your confusion. 

When in my 40's hip pain was there cushion on the femur bone hip joint was slowly wearing off until it was bone on bone. 

I asked about resurfacing the femur and the concern was that it always fails and that THR is the best alternative once the hip surfacing begins to wear. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Wear and tear arthritis of the joint. The hip joint is the heaviest loading joint in the body.

The dr didn't try to urge me to do the surgery right away , instead said when the pain is at a point where I have had enough then I am ready then THR.

The doctor warned me not to wait to long in order for a good outcome for THR the bone stock must be in good shape . Some wait until there is necrosis, bone spurs and this complicates the outcome in some cases. 

3 months later had the THR and was so glad I did. The terrible agonizing pain was gone and within a few months was back to a life with no pain

• Posted

My surgeon said my hip socket had holes in it and looked like Edam cheese 😢 . So socket not in good shape at all .i hope I have a good out come 😰 Also diagnosed osteoarthritis Bone on bone With impingement. Ouch ouch ouch

• Posted

I Haden a hole in my hip which was repaired using the same bone removed from the damaged area. It was implanted over the holes and themed into shape. It's called a bone implant in this case using my own bone prepared in the surgical area for filling in the holes. 

Also the implant had 3 screws to hold into place . Has worked well for 19 years.

there are so many good doctors out there who know all the ins and out  complications they face on the surgery room. THR is a well planned surgery. Many preparations are made in advance for the patients needs for a great outcome and a better quality of life for years to come. That is every sermons goal. 

Every surgeon is different. When there in surgery they are pros !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.