Arthritis of the Big Toe Joint

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone had the experience of having a large toe joint replacement? I suffer with an arithritic big toe joint (very painful) and the only way to correct it, is to replace it with an artificial toe joint.

I am at a high risk for this procedure because of lymphedema in the legs and intermittent cellulitis infections. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had this done, especially, anyone with lymphedema and underlying cellulitis history.

Thanks for your help!

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any of those conditions except the arthritis in the big toe joint and other problems. To everyones surprise including my own I had a cortisone injection under ultra sound in it and it has worked..............for how long I don't know but it was worth it so far

• Posted

Thanks, Jane.. I've had numerous cortisone injections in the toe joint. They last for a short while.  It probably would be irresponsible on my part and the surgeon's to have the toe joint replaced with my history with cellulitis and lymphedema.

• Posted

I hope you find some relief glenn. Foot pain juat rules and ruins everything

• Posted

Sorry Glenn,

It sounds terribly painful, my sympathies are with you. 

D

• Posted

Thanks, Dee... I guess there's so many people worse off than I am and I should count my blessings every day. 

Take Care....

• Posted

I have arthritic feet.  The kind of surgery I might consider is not available where I live, which would replace the joint with a mechanism which actually flexes.  I don't think I'd ever go with an option which froze the joint into a single position.  I'll be interested to hear what other people have to say.

• Posted

Joint replacement is available here, Anhaga. The problem is my legs are prone to infection so it would be higly riskly for me. I would love to have the joint replaced and the pain go away and the toe be able to move like it's supposed to.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if anyone has ever had a toe joint replacement or a toe freeze. Like you, I would not opt out for the toe freeze. I would stay in pain first.

• Posted

Glen have you thought about stem cell therapy. 
    • Posted

Hi Hope,

I'm unsure if and how that could happen with this? Fill me in...

• Posted

There are many clinics in the US. Your own blood is used and sent to a centrifuge  To seperate the stem cells. Then injected in the area needed.
    • Posted

Is this an epensive procedure hope? I don't know if it is available in Australia

• Posted

Have you experienced stem cell therapy yourself?  If so, what was it for, and how did it help?  What kinds of side effects did you have, if any, after the procedure, and how long did it take for you to see an improvement in your condition?  Did you try it because nothing else had worked?
  • Posted

I have arthritis in my big toe joint and forth toe and having operation in the next couple of months but what they are doing for me is putting screws in big toe joint and fourth toe will have a wire put through it to fuse and that will be removed after 4 weeks and i am told it will be 3 to 4 months before i will walk properly..good luck glenn.
    • Posted

Thanks, Terry - good luck to you also.. Please let us know how it goes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.