Palpable gallbladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had a CT  scan, which found multiple gllstones, and am now awaiting a consultaion with a GI surgeon. I've noticed, if I bend over, I can "feel" something pressing against my abdomen. Is this likely to be gallbladder with stones in-ie. does the gallbladder expand with stones in it? Also, I'm getting lots of headaches and neck pain- are these connected with gallbladder disease?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hopefully someone who know more than I will chime in smile Sorry to hear you're not doing well~ Good that you have an appointment soon ! I did not feel mine but it could have just gotten bigger a bit at a time so I didn't notice it. I did have swollen gallbladder and kidneys (with kidney stone as well~). Mine had "multiple gallstones" and sludge in it. The gallbladder was not functioning well and the tissue / skin was thickened and not soft/pliable anymore. I guess everyone has a different experience. Write a list of your symptoms and anything you think might be connected. Ask everything you can think of at your appointment. My doctor told me there was nothing he could offer to 'treat' my condition. They were not going to remove stones from the gallbladder or use lithotripsy to break them up because then the little pieces might get stuck in bile ducts sad It was not going to clear up or get better on its own. My only option was to have it removed. I wasn't thrilled about it but I felt better after talking over everything with the doctors and others who had this done. Good luck to you !

• Posted

Can I advice you look at alternatives to get rid of stones. As I had my gallbladder out 8 years ago and got the same pain a year ago but worse. Just got diagnosis with SOOD sphincter oidi disfunction. There is no cure or medication for this. And this is cause I had my gallbladder removed. It does not mean it will happen to you. But it is possible. Alot of ppl have this complication after the operation. I am restricted to what I can eat and it is no life.
    • Posted

Hi anca, sorry you have SOD. May I ask why was your gallbladder removed? Could you have kept it and been OK? Two consultants have told me there is no other way but surgery (in the UK so financial incentive for them) as the meds are so ineffective and in any case, I have too many stones and too much scarring that the gb is not functioning and will not heal. I am very worried about surgery but natural methods have failed for me after 10 years plus with stones and I have only been able to eat a few things for the past year. I know many people seem to be OK after but it does not help that if amog the unlucky ones with bad effects, there is nothing that can be done. I wish you well and the others on here, gallbladder disease is complicated and worse then drs will have us beleive.
    • Posted

Sorry typo - meant no financial incentive
    • Posted

Thank you both for replying. I'm very unwilling to actually have the operation, primarily because I had such a traumatic time the last time I was in hospital- a one week stay turned into 3 months, because of mistakes made during surgery & poor aftercare! As a result of this, I have panic disorder, so the propspect of another operation is very daunting. Given that ongoing problems are a distinct possibility, I'm seriously considering not going through with it all.  I suspect my headaches are tension related, as I'm so stressed about this whole thing, and maybe I'm also hyper-vigilant about the presence of my gallbladder, now I know it has stones? It's very hard, sometimes, when one has multiple medical/psychological problems, to differentiate symptoms!

• Posted

oh dear I can understand your reluctance after that experience. I had a few issues at the hospital when I last had surgery which has not heled my confidence this time, but nowhere as traumatic as yours. That is another story. But I forgot to say in the last post, my current illness - which they are attributing to gallbladder in the absence of other conditions being found that might cause it - when it started flaring up last year, was associated with headache and migraine and a stiff shoulder and neck. Some sources say it is due to nervous connections between the organs and parts of the body, sort of referred pain. I do not notice the gallbladder itself but I do have general severe bloating and twinges under right rib. However I do have an hiatus hernia which some say can cause symptoms that mimic gallbladder or other gut conditions. But docs say not likely. Anxiety is hard to deal with and we are bound to anxious when unwell, whether usually are or not. Having gallstones is not necessarily a reason for surgery though, if your symptoms are not bothering you. My Mum has her gb with stones and is in her late 80s now, although she does struggle with what she can eat and indigestion. If in United kingdom, bear in mind that the waiting list can be very long (I should know!) so if you are in any doubt, getting onto a waiting list may be a good idea while you have time to see how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.