Methotrexate tablets vs methotrexate injection

Posted , 11 users are following.

Iv been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis for second time after having problems with consultants. In the past I had methotrexate 20mg in tablet form I had horrific side effects I fainted and also spent a week in bed with dizziness fatigue and generally feeling unwell. I refused to take another dose. I tried enbrel and had problems with infections. My new consultant wants to try me on methotrexate injections. He said they bypass the digestive system and go straight to where they need to go, And he said they had a folic acid included in them. So apparently I shouldn't have any side effects like before.I'm quite worried about having these as how I'll they made me. Has anyone got any advise on this or even better personal experience? Thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anni, Ihad a very similar experience with MTX and I just couldnt tolerate such a large amount.  I did the injections but still found I couldnt tolerate such a large amount, any less had minimal effect on my disease process.  It did for sure stop the sickness but the fatigue was unaltered I am afraid to say.  I now take a biologic drug - its the third one I have tried, everyone is so different.  So far and its now 9 months, I am doing great having monthly infsions and soon to start self injecting.  Dont worry about injections as they are fairly foolproof, simple mechanism and you dont even see the needle as its covered as you inject via a push buttonj... very simple.   I so hope it works for you, but please dont be afriad to say if it doesnt... methotrexate doesnt work for everyone... though they would have you believe so!!!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I was on enbrel which is a biological it didn't give me any side effects except the day taking it I would be tired but after suffering infection after infection the consultant gave up on me and said I could not tolerate it. I really don't fancy having the methotrexate again. I found the enbrel pen really stung as the medication went in but apparently it's the additives in it. I do worry about being a pain if that makes sense iv had really bad experiences with doctors and I'm on my fourth rheumatologist. And feel I don't want to mess this one around and it's my last chance really.

• Posted

I am not aware that you would not have side effects from the injectible form.  MTX is an anti-metabolite and some just do not tolerate it.  I had an episode where I did not recognize my own husband, so that was the last straw.  I spent so much time in bed sick when on it that the disease was better than taking this horrible medication.  I'm sorry you had problems with enbrel, but you should try a different Biological.  So if you were on enbrel along with the MTX, maybe try eliminating the MTX and see if you will be fine with just a monotherapy.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply can I ask what anti-metabolite means? I was not on enbrel and methotrexate at the same time. I was giving enbrel after I couldn't tolerate methotrexate and leflunimide. Enbrel was fine but just infections. As said above precious consultant gave up on me. I can't have certain immune suppressants as am servere asthmatic. I did have the funding for biological treatment at my old hospital but don't know if it means I won't have it now as at a different hospital. I'm glad you have found something that works for you I'm 3 years into this disease beginning and only on prednisolne at the mo.

• Posted

There are food triggers with RA but sometimes you don'tknow what those are for a time, and alot do not search this out and just avoid those things.  So MTX stops the absorption of things, obviously not all, or we'd get malnourished, but that's just one of the things, as it also suppresses the immune system somewhat.

• Posted

Hi ann I

Like you I had a similar expierence with oral MTX the way it was explained to me was when taking tablets your body only absorbs 70-75 % of the dose with injections you absorb 100% of the dose so you may be able to take less of the dosage, I have found that my digestive system is much better I take 30 mg of folic acid 3

days later it has to be separate or the folic acid can't do it's job.

I do still sometimes feel off colour but the nausea has stopped

I too could not tolerate enebrel.orencia or humera , sulfasalazine

Made me constantly twitch was unable to sleep but I have

always taken MTX alongside them. I have been injecting MTX for about 7 years now and take 20 mg subcutaneous in my stomach or top of legs.you will be given training on how to do it

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Glad it works for you. Can I ask is it a pen the methotrexate comes in not a syringe? And does it hurt when injected? I found enbrel did. Do you feel sluggish the day you inject or is it a lasting feeling over a few days?
    • Posted

It comes in a spring loaded injection now pinch the skin push the button that's it no it doesn't hurt when I first took it it was regular needle.

It doesn't work on its own and could take as long as 3 months to

Reach the desired amount in your body

The side effect can occur upto 72 hours after taking the injection

And I can feel sluggish, tired, queasy migraines diahorria

But some weeks I am fine. Every one is different

Usually I inject Thursday night and take folic acid Sunday.

Don't suffer in silence if you are in a flare up ask about steroids from either your GP or rummy team it can be done as injection into your bottom or tablet form

• Posted

Hello Anni,

I can't comment on a personal basis, as I refused to have the injections after watching my sister suffer dreadfully.  She could not tolerate the tablets so they decided to try her on injections, well she was so ill and lost a lot of hair as well as being sick for days.  Her weight plummeted and they wer very worried about her blood cells,  

That's all I can say really, although you may be totally different.  The thing is, once the injection has been administered, it's too late. 

Sorry, this probably isnt what you want to hear.  I hope it goes well for you. x

• Posted

I've taken MTX in both oral and injectable form.   Side effects were not a lot different.   The thing to remember is everyone reacts differently to these medications so the only way to find out is try them yourself.   

• Posted

I have RA also and tolerate mtx tablets well. But a friend who also has RA was not getting much benefit from oral mtx so her rheumatologist put her on the injectible mtx. She is doing much better on this. So it might be a good idea to try this method of getting mtx into your system.

• Posted

i havent heard of the injection having folic acid included.. mine certainly didnt, but its a great idea if it has.  You do need folic acid though with MTX for sure.  If I were you I would ask if you can start with a lower dose and build up, maybe you are sensitive to the drug and need to gradually build up to 20mg.  Everyone is so very different Anni, I hope you can find something that works well for you.  I am now on Abatacept and it works well but dont have any MTX with it, though at first it was recommended.  Good luck, dont despair, there will be something for you I am sure.  T

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.