Chevron Bunionectomy Results?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Longtime reader (and bunion sufferer) who finally made the step to see a podiatrist. He recommended a chevron bunionectomy. I live in New York, and it seems like most doctors in the UK recommend a scarf bunionectomy. I'm wondering if people have had the chevron, and what their results were.

My bunions look quite severe (I'm only 30 but they are already very painful), and I can only wear extra wide or mens shoes. I thought a chevron was only for people with mild bunions, and I am worried that it won't be able to fix the bunion entirely.

I'm wondering, for people who have gotten the chevron surgery: 1) how bad were your bunions? 2) Can you wear normal womens shoes now? Or are your feet still extremely wide? I'm not talking about high heels, just anything other than the clunky and unprofessional sneakers I am stuck with now. 2) Does your big toe veer off away from the others? 

I am having surgery for the pain, but I would also love to have normal-looking feet. I would hate to have the wrong procedure and go through the pain of surgery only to have to wear clunky sneakers with orthotics for the rest of my life. 

The doctor also said that recovery would be about a month, which seems very short. What have peoples' experiences been? 

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am wondering what a chevron is?

I had bunion surgery 4 weeks ago with a screw in the big toe (permanent ) and a pin in the next toe (this pin was just removed ) and then the bunions shaved off. I have not had pain. I can wear regular sandles now, with hopes of regular shoes in another month, after the swelling subsides more. You will not have to wear clunky shoes forever. Get it done! You just have to be prepared to stay off your feet as much as possible in the beginning.

• Posted

I would never had wanted both done at the same time, but I am definitely going to have the other one done, as it was pretty easy and pain free for me!
  • Posted

5 days post op for bilateral chervon bunectomy, so far I've been in bed and elevating, able to get to bathroom with crutches after 3 days, used a wheelchair before that.  Pain has inproved, never had much swelling since my legs have been up since day one. Happy its done and I wouls defintely have both done at the same time. Good luck on whatever you decide

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, and good luck with your recovery! How are you able to get around without a wheelchair? Do you hop around in a surgical boot using crutches? I love the idea of getting it all over with at once, but the doctor I saw said he would not recommend getting both done at the same time. 
  • Posted

First Dr I talked with wouldn't do both at the same time. I assured the second Dr I could handle it. So first you have to make sure you could, then find a good Dr that will do it. No way would I want to do this twice.

I could bear wt as tolerated, its not easy but using crutches and post op shoes allows me to get to the bathroom, but not much more. I've been in bed with legs up since day one so swelling not a problem ,but taking pain meds on a regular schedule is a must. I tried Advil which didn't help then in took awhile for meds to kit in. Good luck. Hope I could help with any other questions

• Posted

Hi Sam.

I had a chevron op on my left foot. My bunion was huge!!! My results are amazing. I had it done 15th June this year via minimally invasive procedure with ankle block and sedation. The op was a doddle. I was worried over nothing. I'm in the UK

My pain after op was minimal. I took regular tablets but didn't really need them. I couldn't heel walk for 2 weeks due to bandage too tight but once it was taken off after 2 weeks I was heel walking running about no problem and was driving but have an automatic so didn't need to use a clutch but if I had a clutch it would have been 6 weeks before using a manual car. I used my hubby's car 6 weeks after my op no problem.

Best thing I did. My big toe is straight and bunion area straight but I do have a gap between my big toe and the toe next to it but I'm nearly 40 and had the bunion since before high school so it's had a long time for my second toe to have been pushed over towards my other toes!!

I'm in normal shoes now 😊 I can run and do everything I used to. I had 3 pins and the area feels numb and sensitive to touch but I'd 4ather have that than bunion pain and an ugly foot.

I'm waiting to hear if I have funding from the NHS to get my right foot done as at the moment I had totally odd feet as my right one needs doing too although it's not as ugly as my left one was.

Good luck with your op and any questions just ask 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.