7 months after THR deep ache in buttock

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had thr in March, not Been too bad, but in the last 2 week have Ben very uncomfortable when sitting and laying on the side of new hip, is this normal , would appreciate some feed back . Thanks hippies xx

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

No, Nell, it's not normal. You may have injured some soft tissue (anything non-bone) somehow. If it continues and you find it difficult to live with, then a visit to an orthopedist may be in order. 

• Posted

Yes it can be a irritating issue while heeling. Ask your Sr. For more physio.

you need to build up the glute muscle and ask for X-ray of joint to check for any issues . 

Best exercise squeeze the gluteus and walking. 

• Posted

I really appreciate seeing this

I am about at couple mos pist op no pain at all maybe its coming??? Jozie

• Posted

Only if you injure something! Be so glad that you have no pain, that is a blessing. 
  • Posted

hi nell, 

I can't say whether it is normal or not but would have it checked out to make sure that everything is okay -

is it swollen or warm  to the touch - I was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis when I had similar issues ...I might have overworked that muscle or something -

big warm hug and let us know how you are getting on okay?

renee 

• Posted

Hi renee, yes it is swollen and hot to touch, this morning it seem to be settling down, but I think I know what I have done, I still find it difficult to put my right sock on, and also tie my trainers up on the right foot, so today I noticed that I am over stretching I think, because it's all at the back of my thigh, and the swelling and heat is just under scar. How are you getting on hope your better than I am xxx

• Posted

Is it normal - well that depends ..... I too get some pain when laying on my sides, or when sitting without moving at work, or when commuting and I get a rough train or bus ride.  I had my op almost 12 months ago now, with revision 10 weeks later.  Also, I lost a lot of weight before the operation, so my backside is a lot less padded than it used to be.

I think that in my case it is just that the muscles have hot attained the strength needed, partly because they are less effective than before.

Graham

• Posted

Because the surgeon put my ceramic 'socket' in incorrectly - and it's stuck at a funny angle.  He was unable to move it (the revision operation) 10 weeks later, so now I have a new surgeon who can do this much more tricky job.  

Basically he will have to cut the titanium shell out of my pelvis (titanium screws and all), and replace it.  I am not looking forward to it at all - it's a much harder operation, no doubt much longer, longer recovery, and more risky sad.

I will see him soon to find out when and where we go forward - I hope he will decide to delay it rather than do it immediately (depends on if it's wearing out early) - but either way, I am finding it an awful mental strain to be under, thinking that it could break at any moment.

Graham

• Posted

I'm having some back AND hip issues now and hopefully I won't have to go thru a revision.

I can understand your anxiety over it. We were like that before our surgeries.

I know you've always had good advice for everybody here and I truly hope all goes well with you.

Please keep us posted!

• Posted

That's the trouble, just like a car, once one part wears out, you can bet there's another part wearing out too.  I have heard so many times someone getting over their THR, then finding back, foot or knee problems.

As soon as I come back from my appointment, I'll be back here with the news - good, bad or indifferent.

Lets hope neither of us need any more surgery.

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.