Do post-surgery (TKR) knee spasms eventually go away?

Posted , 8 users are following.

From what I have read online, it is not unusual to start having spasms in the back of the knee after a total knee replacement. I've read all kinds of theories about the cause, and tons of suggestions on how to deal with it.  But nobody mentions whether it eventually goes away or if it tends to become a lifelong chronic problem.

I had TKR 6 weeks ago and have spasms at night that throw me across the bed.  I can handle this, but would really like to know if this is something that should go away with time. 

I did did a lot of reading and studying before the surgery and I'm totally prepared for the various symptoms and understand that recovery is a long process, but I just can't find anything about whether the spasms are something that should go away. 

Could anyone one who has, or HAD, this problem please comment on whether it went away and how long it took?  Thanks so much!

By the way, the vast majority of the terrible TKR problems I read about never happened for me. I don't want to discourage anybody from having the surgery but I do strongly recommend reading everything you can so your expectations will be properly set. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post-op and I dealt with the spasms within the first 3-4 weeks, they just became more infrequent until finally, I don't have them anymore. Of course not everyone is the same, I hope that helps!

• Posted

It WILL GO AWAY, it's still early in your recovery period !

• Posted

I don't have spasms per se. But I do have stiffness in the back of my knee.  I am doing hamstring exercises to deal with that.  Earlier in my post op recovery I had "electric shocks" all around the knee.  I am 8 weeks plus 2 days post op.  I am back to normal in all things, except knee stiffness which I know will last a while.  my bending and straightening is 131/0.  So I am very happy.  I am also jogging on the treadmill  

• Posted

Hi I was wondering if you would mind  describing the hamstring exercises that you are doing please?

Many thanks

• Posted

I am 6 months out & have had charlie horses in my calf .  thats bad in a good leg but I figured I was low on potassium so I had a banana. Now I have bakers cyst troubles.  Very painful & Hope it gets better as I don't want any more treatments!  Hope your spasms go away.

• Posted

I had my TKR 10 months ago and can say for me virtually all pain went about 8 months, however for me to get rid of all pain and get virtually full flexibility I continued having privat physio who massaged and helped me stretch the mussles out. I hardly ever think about my knee now and back  to doing everthing I did before with the exception of kneeling. I decided to go this route as I am only 56 and need to have the other knee done as soon as i am ready. On my personal journey I decided I wanted to make sure my first knee was as strong as it could be before I suffer the traumer or knee 2.
  • Posted

Cala sir, I had spasms too but they went away after about 4 months. I think they went away when I got stronger. They can be painful. Hope you've feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.