Want to stop 5mg Amlodipine, need some advise

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ok so I think I have the worst GP surgery in the country. But I don't want to moan overly about that.

My situation is 5 years ago I felt awful and went to my GP. I was diagnosed with hypertension and high cholesterol. I was 36 years old at the time and whilst I drank and smoked (too much) I thought I was pretty strong and healthy. My doctor put my on 5mg amlodipine and 20mg simvasatins for fear of a stroke.

After 2 years I couldn't get out of bed on the meds, I was weak in body and mind. I blamed the satins and stopped taking them without telling my GP. The difference was noticeable and immediate. To be honest I have had cholesterol checks since and I now control this through diet and lifestyle. Coming off the satin tablets made no negative impact at all.

But here is the problem, I am still on the amlodipine and I still feel spaced out, I am forever tired and very forgetful. Ok I'm 41 now but I am pretty certain in my mind I shouldn't feel this way. So over the last 6 months I have started to miss my daily amlodipine (maybe on purpose, maybe because I am pretty rubbish at remembering). After 3-5 days I start to panic that I am going to have a stroke or heart attack. I feel apprehensive, I almost worry myself back into taking them. Then a week later I am forgetting again.

I hate taking them I am half the man I thought I was, again I'm weak, absent minded and I feel old before my time. I have also started to notice my body falling apart, I have done my ligaments in both my ankle and my shoulder within the last year.

My blood pressure is now at 140ish over the high 90's with or with the daily amlodipine.

What I would really like to know is if I stop the meds how long will it take until they are totally out of my system and what can I expect to feel? Can I get past the week? What are the withdraws and how long do they last?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ask to be switched to felodipine. Very similar, but without the side effects.
  • Posted

james06738..about the worst thing you can do is to stop your bp meds without your Dr's knowledge. You are playing Russian roulette with your health/life.

You have bp in the 140ish over the high 90's...this is not good at all.

I would strongly encourage you to go back to the Dr. He may not put you back on statins (everything I hear about them is total scary), but he definitely needs to do something about your bp meds or at least you tell him what's going on & what you've done.

Don't play a dangerous game with your life.

• Posted

Hello  James medication usually stays in our systems for three days good luck!
  • Posted

Hi James. I'm on the same but I'm 62. Found Amlodepine the least detrimental of all the BP meds. Your BP is at the top of the safe range so I should check your BP twice daily and take the Amlodepine if it goes any higher. I found that swimming and Yoga helps me overcome the side effects and my BP stays on 140/90 too! I feel very unwell after three days off it so I guess thats how long it stays in the system!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.