Carpal Tunnel post op- advice needed!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand (my dominant hand) on 15th October 2016. After the surgery my hand was really stiff and swollen. I am now on day #7 post op and my hand is still swollen to about the size of a tennis ball and I have bruising that covers the entirety of my palm and back of my hand including my knuckles and fingers. The bruising is a dark blue colour. My hand is still really sore to touch and move and my stitches are sunken so far into my hand I reckon it will be nigh on impossible to take them out on Monday when that is due.

I can't hold anything, clench my fist or stretch my hand out without being in agony. I can't even have it resting on a pillow on my lap without it deciding it doesn't like that position and causes me grief.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not post op, I'm only 21 and am getting quite worried about it as I can't afford to have a lot of time off due to living independently with my boyfriend and a house to pay for as well as a car and all the other bills that life throws your way. Can anybody help or give me some advice please? Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Buttons;

It sounds like your surgery was done with a scapel and not endosciopically (?).

Mine was endosciopically in late Dec. of 2015 on my left (not predominant) hand.  I did not experience any of the swelling or bruising that you mention but had a lot of pain like someone was stabbing me with an ice pick.

Try icing and anti-inflammatories like ipuprofen.  I too had lots of trouble making a fist or lifting things over 5 lbs.  I would suggest Physical Therapy it helped me get at least some of my strength back.

It has been 10 months since my procedure and I am still experiencing symptoms and dull aches and pains.  It is going to take more time than they told you.  I was told six weeks, what a farce.  Be strong and diligent and work through it.  Sucks I know!

• Posted

No that is not 'normal' after carpal tunnel surgery. Go and see a doctor. Dr J Bland

• Posted

I had ctd on my dominant hand in October 2015. While I had some bruising and swelling, which is to be expected, I could move my hand. I was off work 6 weeks due to residual pain in my wrist but that's all. I'd suggest speaking to your surgical team.

• Posted

Hi Buttons - I'm not a doctor but can tell you by experience after bi-lateral surgery, this is not normal and you should really go see a doctor.

• Posted

It sounds as if you've got bleeding inside your wrist which is NOT normal. I would advise you to go back to your Doctor asap. I am 8 days post op and I have almost a full range of movement and no pain. The only thing I can't do is push or pull things or lift anything heavy. Good luck hope you get it sorted out soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.