Three months in.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

Well I'm about three months in now - where on earth did that time go ?

All good with hip apart from the occasional ache but I have recently learnt DO NOT under any circumstances think it's OK to cross your legs !!!!!!!!  Twice now at work I have absentmindedly tried to put my op side leg under my non op side and O.M.G the pain !  I can't even really recall what I did as it was a natural movement but I'm pretty sure I tried to cross.  It was excruciating for a minute and I'm scared to do it again.  At least my body's warning me not to do it - I always thought that I would maybe cross my leg without thinking and it would pop out and I'd be buggered - sat there with my dislocated hip in the middle of a management meeting, unable to move and stuck but oh no - you certainly know about it if it's even slightly done by accident.

In other news my gym membership isn't a total waste, I have been twice now before work but as much as I'm loving it and think it's doing me the world of good I haven't had a week yet where I have been more than twice, despite best intentions and new trainers. (Yes I'm no longer plimsole girl but a fully functioning gym bunny).  When I'm there I love it.  The other morning I had the pool to myself and even the sauna and jacuzzi were empty and I wallowed in the freedom to do my bit with the float without scorn as not allowed to froggy swim.  BUT - some nights I'm still not sleeping so at six a.m. would rather have another hours sleep and some days my hip feels sore and I don't want to aggregate it by walking/cycling.

Sleep is so much better.  I never thought I'd sleep again after op but although it's slow you do get there (she says at 2.15am).  At least my days of getting up at this time are maybe weekly rather than nightly and they don't last anywhere near as long.  Still can't asking the Melissa Dream too.

Works good, I'm enjoying being back and busy.  It's almost like I was never away now but I'm due to travel soon.  In two weeks I have a four hour drive, an overnight stay then a four hour drive back the next day but luckily one of my team can help with the drive if needed, I will make sure I have two stops rather than the usual one wee break.  Then in November I go to France for two nights on my own so I will have to ask for help putting my case in the overhead locker on the plane.  I cannot lift anymore - if I do I pay for it big time.  Like the upstairs Hoover (yes we have one for upstairs and one for down, reason being my mums hand-me-down upstairs Hoover is as heavy as an elephant but great on the carpets and the downstairs Hoover is a little cylinder thing good for wooden floors).  Anyway I asked hubby eleventeen billion times to bring the elephant Hoover down so I could use it on the shaggy rug and when it didn't happen I did it myself.  Big mistake - hip was bad for two days.  Lesson learnt - don't lift stuff.

I'm trying to lose weight for the Christmas party.  The theme of Heroes and Villains inspired me to go as "Titanium Girl" and it's basically leggings (x-Ray of bones) with a vest and cape so not very forgiving when I basically lived on cake and chocolate for my  recouperation.  I have got a cape with Titanium a Girl in diamanté letters and will use silver glitter fabric paint to emphasise my new hip on the leggings.  Also have silver body paint but not sure whether to just do random bits of me rather than full on, a la Terminator.  At least it will be original - I bet there will be at least six Wonder Womans!

So apart from feeling like I have period pain in my hip sometimes and my mishaps with the leg crossing and lifting I'm almost back to normal.  I can't believe how quickly the time has gone.  My scar is even starting to fade at the edge.  They say time is a great healer and when you are a week or four weeks in it doesn't feel like you will ever be the same again but it happens.  

I'm so back to normal that I'm not even really playing AlphaBetty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Right off to eat some cake and try to sleep - some things don't change 😃

Sarah X X X X X X  

5 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Love hearing your progress! You are learning your limits and moving on in life!
  • Posted

I had my THR about the same time as you. I agree with just about everything you said. Time is a great healer. Had 6 hours straight sleep last night plus an extra 2 after a wee break. Never thought I would be able to slep so well !!! I did spend yesterday gardening including some digging and lifting bags of compost. First time I had tried that. Not feeling too bad. Cannot cross legs though, even just at feet is uncomfortable. Good luck with your travels and have plenty of breaks. Best wishes. Olwen
  • Posted

Hi sarah, 

wow girl ...love to read your post !!!  

I have been told that crossing my legs was sort of a no-no for life after 2 THR surgeries - well, we'll see -

do you miss playing AlphaBetty?

To be honest, I miss my afternoon naps  - it felt so deserving at that time ... cannot justify it anymore ...

big warm hug darling and thank you for sharing

renee

• Posted

Great news Sarah

I am now 9 weeks post op, and going off on the 31st to Egypt for some sun and the pool, I am hoping that I will be able to snorkle a little but unsure about wearing flippers, getting them on will be the biggest problem, well husband will be at hand!

​If only my knees would hold be I would be free of my best friends the crutches, once I am walking seem to be practically limp free once I get moving, the only thing is I cannot rely on my knees not give way.  So for safety these friends are staying with me.  

​Sleep as you say is better, although I do find I am turning in bed which wakes me as having had both hips done neither side is comfortable for long. (approx 1 hour) before I need to move.

​I am not having to take my strong meds anymore during the day but still have to take them at night, more for sleep than pain, but Dr feels this is best due to my knees as they are giving me pain.

​I wish I could find a gym that would be friendly towards someone who has had a bi-lateral replacement, I will ask my physio on Monday if she can recommend one.  We seem to have so many in town.

​Crossing of legs, yes have found myself in this position without really knowing what I am doing, no pain just panic as I definately do not wish to pop my hips.

​Good luck on your journeys I am sure you will be fine. 

• Posted

Funny but I had pain that felt like period pain too!

It did eventually go away.

Just take your time!

You'll get there!

Don't push it!

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi sarah , it's great ti hear from you, im too three months post thr, I have the period pain feeling too, im back to work too. Ohhhhh yes crossing legs not good , getting down o the floor with my grandchild is not easy either . You are so right, at the time it feels as though you will never be normal again, but it happens. I feel so great not having all that pain, my opposite foot really hurts, I think its the strain . Well its so great to hear that you are doing so well, I too am on a post hip diet, trouble now, can get to the fridge quicker lol. Great to hear those of us who have come through the dreaded three months, but its so worth it ,I have to have my right hip done , so at least I know what to expect , hugs and continued success , all the best TIna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.