allergic reaction

Posted , 5 users are following.

Went to doctors due to not sleeping they gave me some sleeping tablets took them at 20.30pm half an hour later eyes started swelling lips tingling air ways closing and itch called 111 they sent an ambulance now it is 3.00 am still bloody waiting to see doctor might get up before the sun comes up

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ugh. Sounds like an allergic reaction. Just try to sleep after a THR, it's practically impossible. That was the hardest thing about post-op for me, sleeping. Didn't get much more than 5 hours a day for 6 weeks, until I could sleep on my side again.

Hope those symtoms have gotten better and that you'll be seen soon.

• Posted

5 hours a day ! Hi Annie, what I would have given for 5 hours sleep for at least the first two weeks. Melatonin is a natural and I think safe sleep aid. I'm at 12 weeks RTHR and sleeping good most of the time. I think the sleeplessness is not just the having to sleep on your back thing, but the irritation to your whole being from the anesthesia and pain drugs. Fortunately it all gets better eventually.

• Posted

Dave, the 5 hours was spread throughout the day. Couldn't sleep more than 1 1/2 hrs at a time. I agree that there are many reasons for bad sleep post-op from such a major surgery. Those first 3 weeks were just horrid for me. Hoping that for this next hip surgery that I have next week I won't feel so terrible. Glad you are doing better now!

• Posted

Sorry sounds like a allergy your right. It's a bit scary , just glad your doing ok..

• Posted

hey debbie,  how are you doing ?   hopefull you are home and sleeping ...pleaselet us know okay?what kind of sleeping pill were you given? big warm hugrenee
    • Posted

Glad to hear your ok. Some sleeping meds have chemicals that we need to fix what is in them that you were allergic to do you know ? in case another med not necessarily only sleep meds have the same chemical. Keep a list of them for hospital records and your pharmacy. 

Sleep hints, try listening to music on a timer helps me, my room is totally dark, worry & anxiety is a big sleep distractor sometimes listening to iBooks read on earphone distracts me enough to get to sleep. 

Take care Peace & Sleep.

• Posted

GOOD NIGHT, HAPPY DREAMS !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.