Thigh pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm 3 weeks following a RTHR. What I'm troubled with is nasty thigh pain. Managing about the house on 1 stick and taking 2 with me on walks but in last few days just holding the other. Doing little jobs in house using trusty grabber. The ache is there all the time at the moment and particularly at night. If others have experienced this is it normal post op and how long? I'm doing what exercises the physio gave me daily plus extra. Thanks

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I am 4 weeks post op and although i have healed really well walking with one stick inside and out since week one, i do have thigh pain.  To me it feels like I am going to be left with a limp but doc says no it is the healing process.

So dont worry tpp much plenty time yet

• Posted

Thanks. Nobody after op said what type of pain/ discomfort to expect. So as long as it's healing and nothing else I'm ok with that and will carry on taking pain tablets and using heat over it at night. Good luck with your ongoing recovery.

• Posted

hi jane warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies where personal stories and experiences are shared .. so sorry to hear about your thigh pain ... what kind of pain is it - sharp jolts or dull --- 

you just had major invasive surgery where a cut was made, joint forcefully dislocated, then prepared to get prothesis banged in !!!!! one in the hip joint and another one in femur / thigh bone -if you are up to it, you can watch the live THR surgery on youtube or watch the animated version - you will get a better understanding of what has been done to you ... it is tender to the touch and I swear I could feel the hardware at times - but not really pain - Maybe you should call the surgeon and have it checked ... better safe than sorry - let us know how you are getting on, okay .. big warm hugrenee

• Posted

Thank you. It's like a nagging tooth ache. Down the thigh and at times around the buttock. The scar is fine healed lovely. Skin around still slightly swollen. Will let you know

• Posted

Hi Jane. I'm 4 weeks post op. Toothache is exactly like I would describe it. In hip and down front of femur. Worth watching the you tube video as the op we have been throughis brutal. So the healing will takes while.

Much longer and slower than unanticipated. It's all about little achievements. I've managed up and down the stairs this morning without my stick.

Can't wait to be back to normal and not relient on people.

I just takes couple of paracetamol for the toothache as I can't get away with the strong painkillers. Sometimes if I've done too much I get worse toothache that night and the following day.

Keep us posted on your progress. X

• Posted

Thank you Sandra sounds like we have twin pain. I'll carry on with what I'm doing and burn the midnight candle because that is when it's at it's worst. Take care in your recovery

• Posted

I tried watching the you tube op..... got as far as the scalpel going down ...that was that it was off .😂😂

• Posted

Brave to even try. Big no go from me. Watched the pre op one but wasn't an actual hip op. That was enough 😳

• Posted

Lol. I watched this you tube video before my op ! Very gruesome xx
    • Posted

My son has had it up on you tube after I told him about it. Yes lots of oooo look mum and flashing the iPad under my nose. Muscles have been through hell. 😬

• Posted

Lol. I've just watched it again ! Very gory and we have been through hell. Put it this way I won't be launching myself off anymore Florida washing machines !!! Don't ask 😂😂 2 years of pain prior to this op xx

• Posted

Florida villas have large top loader washing machines and equally high dryers. On removing the washing from the dryer I dropped something down the back. Being 21 three times over and extremely fit I jump up on top of the washer to retrieve the dropped item. Then I launch myself off backwards forgetting the the drop down door of dryer was still open. So rip my left leg on dryer door and fall onto right hip. 2 days later can nearly weight bear.

On my return physio friend tells me I have torn the cartiledge in my hip which is very hard to get anyone to accept diagnosis. Hence the two year in pain with the useless consultant who told me nothing wrong with your hip !

You do not need a hip replacement.

So my physio friend and GP refer me privately to Mr Malviya. One look at X-ray and MRI and I have torn cartilage. He was so disgusted that he would not let me pay private and treated me NHS. First op was with a camera and hip was shot. The tear. Through neglect had calcified and was not repairable. Hence where I am today. I owe this lovely man so much.

And the moral of the story. Do not launch yourself backwards off a washing machine 😂😂😂😂

• Posted

One good bedtime story in the future for the younger generation who don't think we were ever young ish. Credit to your surgeon

• Posted

nagging toothache not so good, darling. .

I would have it checked out. ....ask for an xray. ...just to make sure that all is good. ..

angel blessings

renee 💙

• Posted

Hi Janejell, short time at 4 weeks, try not to overdo. I'm at 12 weeks and feeling good. I was on crutches outside, walker indoors for at least 3 weeks and then one crutch for another 3 weeks depending how the hip felt. Everyone seems to be trying to get away from support devices, I went back to work at 2 weeks and walked the dog ever day, but with the aid of at least one crutch opposite side surgery leg. You get the exercise but it takes the load off that new hip. Worked for me and I've had two knees replaced two years prior to this RTHR so I've been through this recovery process before. Just getting away from using a cane now at three months and feeling good. Overdoing it definitely causes pain the next day so listen to your body. Overdoing physical therapy does not make you heal quicker in spite of what some therapist push you to do. If it hurts don't do it applies to everything except getting ROM back in the knees. This is a long process that never really ends. Even when you get your strength and flexibility back you still have to maintain it. Good luck work hard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.