Suspected Chronic Giardiasis Infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Long story short, I became ill with diarrhea for several weeks after visiting Egypt. Ever since I have had chronic fatigue, bloated gut and a soreness beneath the right side of my ribcage.

I have gone to my GP and asked to be tested for giardiasis. She wasnt keen but said she would do an O&P test  as it would relieve my stress/anxiety over the issue. She has given me 3 stool tests but they say routine C&S, not O&P. So I dont think Giardiasis (a parasite) is going to befound or even looked for. I think the doctor has fobbed me off with a cheaper test to get me out the door. This is the UK NHS btw. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Have I been decieved or is the C&S stool test the right way to go about it?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Phillippa61759 ur comment was deleted by a moderator incase u dont know?

• Posted

Try taking Pepto Bismol.This easy OTC med clears giardiasis. Easy and cheap.
    • Posted

The treatments seems to be metronidazole according to most sites. From what Ive read pepto bismol is good for relieving the diarrhea symptoms.
  • Posted

Well, the C&S is more indicated in your case, but both would have been good.

An O&P can overlook a lot, especially since no one knows if not bacteria cause your symptoms.

In C&S is not only a culture done, usually also a PCR for presence of most common pathogens (incl giardia) run.

Have a look when you get your results back, if a PCR panel was run.

If any pathogen grew in the culture, it is good to know asap which antibiotic would work (S=sensitivity).

Best of luck!

I had very severe giardia symptoms, green water stools, coffee blood vomiting, dehydration and even listening was exhausting, and metronidazole (even at first making sicker) a blessing. Giardia came back though (could identify the smell instantly, very distinct) and a longer dose killed it finally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.