To stop or not to stop...?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on 25mg Sertraline for 3weeks for Anxiety not depression , I am shakey, sweating, a mess a couple of hours after taking it, then anxious all day. Didn't take it yesterday just to see, low and behold no shakey legs, sweating acutely, but I was a bit anxious in evening but I had an event to go to...i have a friend in the psych field saying it SHOULD NOT be doing that to me after 3 weeks, not feeding any effects is normal but insists or shouldn't be doing THAT, idk WHAT TO DO NOW, I have taken the as needed VERY low dose xanax the last 4 days which I don't want to do rolleyes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I kept upping my sertraline (the only drug ive used).  as soon as i started to feel better i should have tried a reduction of just  5mg every three or six months.    At the start i needed to work up to 100mg before i started to feel better. You might be young enough to do something similar , see your doc.    Dont like me just take the amount that has the right effect  for ever .   i think i mean start slow and stop slow ... Best regards tom

• Posted

I'm 44,problem seems to be i haven't started after 3 weeks to feel better on it, worse in fact, hard to tell if it's my anxiety or the med having adverse effect rolleyes I considered increasing dose, idk

• Posted

Hi Ana,

You are probably still getting side effects from the med. They say a couple weeks but I believe for some it is longer such as myself. I am a couple days into week 4 of 50mg increase and am still getting extreme anxiety and other side effects such as some very low days. I started at 25mg for two weeks. The med effects everyone different and I would say keep going and it will settle eventually. When you increase most people have side effects again.... Just my experience and others on the forum have had a long rough start as well.

• Posted

My opinion, don't quit. 3 weeks is not long enough to know if they will help you. My side effects didn't go away until around week 5-6. I'm week 15 and still not 100% but I'd say that I am 75% better. My psychiatrist wanted to switch my meds at week 6 because I was only feeling about 20% better but with the advice from some people on here who are actually on the med, i decided to wait the storm out and so glad I did.

• Posted

Hey you,

I've been on 50mg for 5 weeks now, I had those sweats (ANY) time I did anything other than sit for weeks, I had invasive thoughts (more than I was having) and MASSIVE anxiety, but it did subside.  I'm starting to feel better but I had to get propranolol to curb the anxiety.  Actually hoping to reduce that now, next time I speak to the GP.  In the past I've been on Seroxat and Citalopram (and briefly Mirtrazapene) and this is the only one that's given me side effects.  But it has given me my emotional range back and is bringing things back into my control.

Please don't do anything without speaking to your professional, if you read these forums you'll see that Sert' has a heck of a lot of side effects that affect a lot of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.