Help! Panick attacks or mini stroke?? Extremely scared and hoping someone can help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys! I have no idea what is going on with me :-( I am a 29 year old female who suffers from anxiety, but for the last 2 years I have been off medication, and did pretty well...up until now that is. Recently I had a breast lump that needed investigation and although it turned out to be nothing, it brought back all my health anxiety. To top it all of I work full time and have 4 kids ages 2 up to 11 and my stress level has been awfully high.

Please forgive the length of this and please take the time to read. I wanted to be sure I didnt leave any details out.

So what brings me here...for the last couple months during all this anxiety, I have been dizzy daily and extremely exhausted. Then out of the blue one day while I'm driving, I start to feel this weird sensation from the top corner of my eyebrow down to my nose. Almost like a burning. I dismiss it and a moment later I feel very warm and shaky, especially in the core of my body, I got an extreme tingling sensation all over, and felt off balance although I was sitting. I pull over and my breathing speeds up a tad, but not much, but I try calling my mom and it was like I couldnt think clearly, and it took great effort to concentrate to call her. Once she answers I could talk but it was like I had a fat tounge and it was scary!! I could say what I wanted to but it took me a min to really think about what I was trying to say. I felt the back of my neck muscles tightening and the back of my head felt pressurized. But no chest pain at all. At that point my mom came and took me to the ER.

I was able to walk in but felt weak. The left side of my body still felt like it wasnt "mine" if that makes sense. I was able to sort of answer their questions, but I had so many symptoms and they were all brand new to me...I just couldnt completely describe it. Fast forward and they check me over...squeeze my hands, smile, do this, do that and during all this I'm starting to feel better, but I'm getting an awful headache...and then they decide a head ct is best to check for stroke just to be safe. It came back totally clear.

About 2 hours from check in, they send me home and tell me it was a mini stroke, migraine or possible seizure. I was baffled...they seemed totally calm about it. At that moment I mentioned that I have bad anxiety and have been very stressed lately and asked if it could have been a panick attack. They said "oh, I doubt it...panick attacks dont tend to present more so on one side of the body." So I grabbed my discharge papers and left.

I got home and laid down, with an awful headache and feeling exhausted from it all. I did not have a headache at the time of the symptoms, only after the rush of it all. I felt pretty normal other than being scared and went to sleep. The next 2 days were ok but I was still dizzy and scared, googling symptoms and trying to take it all in. My dad calls to see how I'm feeling and I'm talking and all of a sudden I feel the tingles, I feel flushed, the back of my head and neck tense up and I start losing my words and I get very dizzy. As he's jabbering I try to calm myself, try to breathe and it goes away within minutes...but again I'm left with a headache and feeling exhausted.

This has happened 2 more times in the last week, but both times were not like the first. I try to breathe and calm myself and it goes away. Daily I am still often dizzy, feel like my eyes are straining and constantly have a headache which seems to either be behind my eyes or in the back of my head. I also feel like I have a constant pressure in my face and head, especially the right side. I'm sure a lot of it is anxiety but I keep fearing it's something more and I dont have health insurance to go in and check.

I apologize for the length, but does this sound like a panick attack? Can anybody relate to the headaches and pressure afterwards? I have heard panick attacks cause chest pain, which I have not experienced thus far. I just feel so lost and scared daily and I know doctors know best..but I feel like they totally dismissed my anxiety. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How can they say you had a stroke when you had a cat scan that came out clear? That doesn't make any sense? If they thought you had a mini stroke , seems like they would of had you do an MRI?? But just to release you. Cat scans show everything! Bleed , tumors stroke . But they said yours was clear?

• Posted

Apparently a mini stroke shows nothing because it doesnt cause any damage?? I have no clue. I'm just a mess. I feel like it's purely anxiety, but they seemed to dismiss my concerns. I contacted my GP and she said to be safe start taking a daily baby asprin. I just dont know what to think.

• Posted

any

People do get mini strokes sometimes and many of them are incidental although here you were given that diagnosis so I would advise you make a call to your GP and hopefully He will have the hospital report. So they would have decided if you need any medication. Your Anxiety and Panic Attacks will not be helping you as they will mask your real symptoms.

Minor strokes are quite commons and sometimes they pass without a person knowing it. 

When Pensioners go out many carry an asprin in their purse or wallet and understand to take it if needed

Talk to your GP, we are here for you if needed

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.