swelling after total knee replacement 4 weeks post op

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have tightness and sharp pain across my swollen knee cap & cannot seem to reduce the swelling despite physio, painkillers and ice packs.  What else can I do to reduce swelling and pain - can any

one advise please. Everyone else I speak to seems to think I should be more advanced but the pain is holding me back

5 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you are doing fine.  I am at 8 weeks plus and just began to see reduction in swelling at about 6 weeks along with pain in the patella.  Be patient.  It will get better.
    • Posted

When does the numbness go away? I'm 4 weeks out and the left side of my leg is still numb.

• Posted

I'm only 8 days post op. I think I am doing ok,I am mobile as much as knee allows. On resting on bed it's my heel that hurts more than knee. It by my Achilles tendon. It just totally aches like mad.

• Posted

That's normal I'm now 5 months post op I was using ice till about 12 weeks it's a long old struggle but 4 weeks is very early days, keep icing elevating, doing the exercises and taking pain killers and soon enough you will feel it's been worth the agony, good luck

• Posted

They said the same thing to me but I ignored them. I was very stiff from the time I had TKR (07/12/16) until just two weeks ago. Like Debbie said, keep doing what you're doing and it will get better.

• Posted

It's very early days

I'm 7 months post op and I still suffer with pain and swelling.

It can take up to two years for it all to settle I've been told

• Posted

Rest it. It's not a race to see how fast you can recover. if it's too painful, it's telling you to rest, you are doing too much too soon.

We all get there in the end, be kind to your knee, it's gone through a lot.

You know your body better than the physio.

• Posted

Right on! I'm 8 weeks + post op. Some days are easier than others. Hang in there.

• Posted

I'm. a year post op, with my second knee, still have stiffness and occasional swelling, but so glad I had them done!

• Posted

Good advice. I'm 13wks post op and I have had some days that I swell up worse than others so I just take it easy and rest it.

• Posted

Do we all get there in the end? If we end up with only 95 ROM & -10 on straightening is that a victory or do numbers have to be better. I am 4 wks post op & my ROM is about 94, but my straightening is not getting much better in fact went from -14, to more like -18. Frustrating at times, as I am doing all of exercises. I am still using a walker at 4 wks. Even though my numbers don't always improve, I am seeing other differences. My leg is stronger & should get to move to cane. Also I used to have to use leg lifer to get that leg in bed but can lift it up there myself. So getting stronger although numbers don't move. Is all of this normal. Am I on track?

• Posted

Laura, It is nice to hear you are glad you had them done. i am 5 1/2 weeks post op on first TKR and right now i would say i would never do the other knee. The swelling and the pain is much worse than anticipated. Congrats to you and i sure hope to be able to say the same as you next year ! 
    • Posted

Yes it's harder than anyone expects.But it does get better week by week, and in the long run it's worth going through. When the worst of your pain is over, then you think, yes I'll have the second one done.

You will get there, honestly you will. Just get through the next few months and you'll be glad you had it done. 

Next year it will be behind you.

• Posted

Today is four weeks for me and my new knee, and one week being discharged from home health care pt. I've had no instructed pt for a week and a half but work on it daily. I seriously don't want to go to pt now. I may take longer to heal but I'm not going to torture myself. Opinion?

• Posted

Firstly a heartfelt congratulations on your new knees....and yes at 4 weeks you're so early on! I had both my knees replaced. My right one in January of this year and the left in March. I still experience a lot of stiffness as well as swelling especially after having done too much.

I still find it amazing though that week-by-week things improve. But it is a slow process and I can see how it's said that you're not really back to normal for nearly a year or even longer. I have found that getting that deep restful sleep is crucial to healing. Especially at 4 weeks, getting good sleep combined with eating healthy, taking your meds, icing and elevating and especially not overoverdoing it, will help in reducing your swelling and stiffness.

Hoping this helps. Blessings & Healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.