No Crutches or stick for half a day!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just something positive, 9 weeks post op bi-lateral THR and today I found my comfy trainers were ideal for moving forward.   Have not worn them due to having to wear an ankle brace but heaven this morning.    When I walked across my lounge with my trainers on I did not limp, and did not hold on to anything.  

We went out and visited my mother again no crutches or walking stick it felt good. 

​Home for lunch and needed to go to some shops, but by this time I was obviously tired and needed to use my crutches, no pain, just weekness, also my knees decided to scream at me.  

​TOday has been a turning point in walking for me all because my trainers were back on my feet, which I had been missing.  I had these trainers for walking before my hips caused a problem because the helped with my knees. 

​Now if I carry on improving like this do I take my best friends on holiday as a precaution, or do I leave them at home?   My husband is afraid if I only use one stick it will cause me to favour one side and I need to use both hips equally to recover fully.

​What would my fellow hippies think?   Yes to take them as walking around the pool and on the beach could be an issue.... NO leave them at home.... one week to go before I need to decide.

​Thank you for your help in my decision.

Elaine

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I agree with the others, take them! Worst that can happen is that you use only one, or neither!
  • Posted

Your Doing great. Continue to pace yourself, exercises and walking will become a piece of cake! 
  • Posted

Sounds good! Why don't you use your trainers with your crutches too?

I'm 12 weeks, waiting for a second hip replacement and limping( or more rolling like a drunken sailor) if I don't use my trusty stick! Trainers were invaluable earlier- my problem is doing them up- any hints?

Good luck!

• Posted

Sue

I could not get my trainers on due to having to wear a brace on my ankle but I will now wear them most of the time with or without use of crutches...

​I have elastic laces I got off Amazon make life easier... also they do them in some lovely colours to brighten up the day!  

• Posted

Thanks what a brillient idea

I will try that

🙂

• Posted

absolutely take them with you ....
    • Posted

My mind is made up I am taking them, husband said if I have a bad day I will be too scared to go out if I have not go them.   

• Posted

Just wishful thinking that I would not need to take them...

​Luckily I got to speak to my Consultant just now.... family friend, who said that I must take them due to my knees not being in too good a shape.  Has told me to do plenty of exercise in the water whilst I am there as this will help both hips and knees.  

​He also told me people will be more aware if I have the crutches and hopefully give me space....the last thing I need is to fall down awkwardly and regret not having them with me.  

​So my new best friends will be travelling alongside me.. perhaps after the holiday I can hang them up as a memento of what I have gone through....

Thank you

Elaine

• Posted

That's so true about people giving you a bit of space. I got out a lot when I was using my crutches, bus, tube, train to the seaside, and people were really helpful, offering seats etc, and moving out of the way. Hope you have lovely trip. Where are you going?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.