Sudden onset numbness in both legs. Help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Heya, wondering whether anyone else has had the same symptoms at all?

I went to bed with a headache 3 weeks ago and woke in the night with numb thighs. The numbness has been spreading daily ever since and i am not regaining sensation at all. The progression went: tops of thighs, inside knees, inside shins, heels, outside shins above ankle, knees, inside thighs, outside thighs, instep, balls of feet, backs of calves..

Toes are currently not affected and it progresses symmetrically.

My gp is referring me for nerve conductivity tests but says it is likely either my diabetes or a neurological condition such as MS. Having looked at diabetic neuropathies though, my symptoms do not fit.

Really hoping someone else has had the same experience of symptoms so i can get some idea of what is going on in my body! Thanks!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Eggotchi,

I am 62 years old and have had diabetes for 18 years. My numbness and cramping started in my left thigh and got so sivere that sometimes it would stop me walking. I have had to sit down on the floor to wait for some sensation to come back. Then it started in both legs and then my arms. I even felt it in my colon which is very uncomfortable indeed. It was diagnosed as diabetic neuropathy. Sometimes it is so bad I cannot go out at all.

The important thing is to control your blood sugar or things can get very bad.

The best drugs for this condition seem to be Gabapentin and Pregabalin but be careful you monitor any side effects as some people react to taking these substances.

Best regards

bobcrachet.

• Posted

Hi did you ever find out what this was I also had headache went to bed and tingling started in feet went up to knees symmetric then in both hands to wrists

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.