Shoes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I am asking for some advice re appropriate footwear. I had Fimo surgery 8 weeks ago and am starting to weight bear on my crutches. My ankle, foot and lower leg are always badly swollen. Through the summer and non weight bearing it didn't matter if I went barefoot but as the colder weather arrives I need to cover my foot. I have some nice soft fluffy socks for warmth but can't fit a shoe on. Help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi..I know the feeling, I'm having shoe problems too. I have needed a size larger as foot swollen. I have either borrowed bigger shoes from family or brought cheap larger shoes.something solid with good firm sole..I found a slight heel comfortable. Have also found wearing ankle boots gives my ankle support. And funny enough I have found wearing gum boots really supportive, great to wear when outside of the house. I change my shoes several times a day & take 2 pairs to work.

Good luck

Justine

• Posted

My dr. said sneaker, i have the lace super loose. Am starting to weight bear to . I wouldn't do it with out the sneaker or boot.

• Posted

Hello - firstluy, glad to hear you're beginning to weight bear.  Don't concern yourself with the swelling, it will begin to subside.   Regarding your footwear, I can only comment on what my physio advised me.   He told me to cut the band from the top of the sock to be worn on the injured foot as any tightness in that area will only add to the incidence of swelling.   I have followed this advice and can say that it works.    He also suggested I wore trainers which in his opinion were the best thing to wear but I don't have any and don't particularly want to go out and purchase a pair for what for me, would be quite a short period.   I'm lucky to be wearing normal shoes but they are a good quality leather shoe with a nice leather cushioned lining.   I have needed to purchase insoles to support the arch of my injured foot which was causing considerable pain on one side of my ankle where long screws had been inserted.

I'm 72.   My surgery for a broken tib & fib plus dislocation of the Talus jnt was exactly 3 months ago and I'm now walking properly without crutches and yesterday was able to go up & down the staircase normally.  I seem to have made excellent progress in the last two weeks.  I still have pain and need to rest, elevate and ice throughout my day but I'm one happy lady.

Wishing you the very best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.