Medication

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a severe heart attack Feb.23, 2016. I have 3 stents, the medicated stents. I am taking Carvedilol 3.125 mg 2x a day, for the beta-blocker. I don't have high blood pressure. I am also taking Atorvastatin 40 mg 1x at bed time. Clopidogrel 75 mg 1x a day am. I am ill, my chest area feels like I have a very tight corset around me. I feel like I am being poked in the middle of my chest straight through to my spine. right now I feel fine I haven't taken any medication yet this morning. Usually I feel like death warmed over. Does beta-blockers only come in blood pressure medication? I believe that's my problem.       

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello barbara78921...There isn't anything more annoying than feeling ill because of medication. It seems you're on a heavy dose, but there's likely a reason for that.

I don't believe beta blockers are used strictly as a blood pressure medication.

Truly, you should speak with your doctor, & let him/her know what you're feeling.

• Posted

They know, medication has been reduced 3 times. Can't tell you how many times I've been in and out of the hospital. The last time this past wednesday. I was in the hospital once for 5 days, they took me off all

medication becuse my heart rate dropped dangerously low. Cardiologist put me back on them, I need them for the stents. Next time I see him is in March a year after stents were put in. I feel like I'm not going to make to then.

Going to try my MD tomorrow, if I don't get any answers or idea's, I'm thinking about trying other Doctors.

It's just my brother and I left in the family and he has Aspberg's (Autism) I have to take care of him.     

• Posted

barbara78921...wow, you've certainly got a lot on your plate.

Beta Blockers can be used to help control blood pressure, but what they also do is slow the heart. I only take 50mg/daily..to help control bp.

Some people take more than 50mg. From what you described, you're taking 3.125mg of Carvedilol 2/daily...equalling 6.250mg/daily.

I don't know if that's considered strong or not...but usually anything ending in 'lol' is a beta blocker. Perhaps the other meds you're taking is strongly adding to your problems. 

Clopidogrel inhibits blood clots in coronary artery disease., & Atorvastatin is just as the name implies..it's a statin used to help provent angina, heart attack, stroke etc., AND to help control cholesterol. It's a statin nonetheless, under the name of Lipitor. Do you have a cholesterol problem? There has been a lot written lately about the affects of statins, & one trade name has been named in a class action lawsuit. A major complaint is cramping in the legs, & people are losing muscle tone. Also they did not warn that diabetes could be caused in females, & this turned out to be the case. Many women became diabetic while on the statin, there they had another disease for life. 

If your cholesterol is under control, why not ask your doctor if you can come off it. I fail to understand just 'why' someone would be prescribed a medication for 'just in case'. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I'm sure doctors here in Canada do not prescribe 'just in case'. You either have a problem, or you don't. 

If I may suggest..when you see your doctor, you must stress strongly (but nicely of course) that you're very concerned about how you're physically feeling, & by all means do ask about the statin.

Please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

The Clopidrogel,Atorvastatin and the carvedilol, my cardiologist has me on for the stents, which are called medicated stents, and he said I have to be on these medications for a year(6 months now) I had a (not sure of spelling) stomach doctor because from the day I had the stents put in(same as heart attack) I had chronic diareha, I had to wear a diaper! she cut the Atrovastatin and carvedilol in half so I was actually taking double those amounts. Oh my friend it's been 8 months since my heart attack, I've gone past stressing strongly and nicely. I tell them straight up I feel like death warmed over! I'm going to see my MD today if she's in. If you would like I will fill you in on what she says. And you mentioned your in Canada, you did mention somethings that haven't been mentioned to me. Thank you (ps: my fathers family was from Canada)     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.