PCOS and course facial hair. I need help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS and my worst symptom is the facial hair on my chin. It's really dark and course, which leaves my skin looking dark even after it being plucked out! If I shave it I get awful spots which scar so I've ruled that out, the PCOS gives me enough spots as it is. The whole thing is really bringing down my confidence and self-esteem.

It's been suggested I should try laser hair removal but I'm unsure as it's not permanent. I recently found electrolysis online but I don't know how good it might be? Could this be my only option? Has anyone else had this done?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello - I'm in the same boat and have been for 10 years, dealing with shaving my neck, lip and chin every single morning. Luckily for me it's not noticible once i've shaved, but it becomes visible again by the end of the day.

I've had 3 laser treatment sessions and it didnt work for me, each one was incredibly painful, I want to try waxing but I can't leave the hair to grow for long enough as it will mean being housebound for over a week. But never tried electrolysis.

I have however recently been prescribed Vaniqua cream, which is to be used twice a day, and should eventially minimise the hair growth. I've been using it for a few months and I'm still unsure if it is working, but some mornings I think the hair growth isn't as bad, so i'm perservering for now. 

Good Luck! I know how horrible and embarrassing it is. 

• Posted

Thank you! It's reassuring to know that you're not alone.

Oh wow the cream sounds really good! I'm sure with time the cream will show more results. I hope it does really work for you!

• Posted

Hi i know it's awful and you have to let it grow but waxing is great, it's made my beard so much less noticeable and should help with 'Shadowing' the hair does come back thinner and my moustache has gotten so much better too...

• Posted

Thank you! I think I'm definitely going to try waxing before paying a small fortune for electrolysis.

The shadowing can sometimes be worse than the hair. I may bleach the hair in between waxing so it's not as obvious.

Thank you for your help.

• Posted

Hi, i know this post is a bit old but i too suffer with facial and body hair from having pcos. I spent thousands on electrolysis about 5 years ago with very little to no results. I use to have to pluck the hair from my face every day for about 20mins using a bright light and magnifying mirror and would still be left with a shadow. I have seen many doctors to try and get some help with this issue and have finally got some sort of relief after suffering for almost 10 years. First off I was put on the pill, that helped bring on a period but didn't notice a difference with the hair growth then asked my doctor for Vaniqa cream, it takes up to 6 months to start to see results from using it and when you first start it can have a reaction with your skin causing pimples, red bumps and itching but once that passes it is all good. I noticed a bit of a difference using this and could get away with plucking the hair every second day but still not satisfied enough i went to another doctor who put me on Metformin 1000mg a day in hopes that it would also help. I didn't notice much of a difference hair wise with this either but it did stop my sugar cravings and help me lose some weight. I seen another doctor who put me on Spironolactone 200mg a day which is a high dosage and this is when I started to see better results. I don't know if it was purely this alone or everything combined as i still take all medications and use the cream. I no longer have dark thick hair on my side burns or on my cheeks, i still have a few stray dark hairs on my upper lip but most of them are fine and light and no shadow. I still get dark hair on my chin and neck but no where near as much as i use to and more of them are coming through lighter and finer. I can get away with plucking every 4 days and still no shadow. My snail trail (hair under the belly button) has lighten and thinned out heaps. The hair on my arms was very dark, but now come through very light and the same with my legs and also doesn't come through as quick after shaving i can have smooth legs for at least 3 days before going prickly. The few stray hairs on my chest are now pretty much non existent, every now and then I may get the odd one pop up but easily taken care of. It was a slow process to get to this point about a year and a half to 2 years after starting all medication and cream. Still not satisfied but heading in the right direction, with all this under my belt i would consider trying electrolysis again or even laser hair removal to help with what is left. I still go through the depression and anxiety from this every day but hope it helps someone or gives someone hope!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.