Women taking Sertraline - breast issues?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Got a bit of a strange question but have any of you ladies had any issues with your breasts since taking Sertraline?

Mine have been really sore for about 2 months now, at first I thought it was just the usual time-of-the-month soreness but it hasn't gone away after 8 weeks its still just as bad. They also seem to have grown slightly as all my bras feel really tight now. I had my dosage of sertraline increased exactly 2months ago too which is why I think it could be these meds. Has this happened to anyone else? Im really hoping this is only temporary as its really unclmfortable.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Erm.... could you be pregnant?! Sorry! I had no issues with that I'm afraid x

• Posted

Hi Sarah same with me ....unbelievable pain even lying on my side at nite! Giving up caffeine and started taking evening primrose as it worked for me before!

• Posted

Thanks ladies. On closer inspection of the side effects leaflet this is listed as a side effect reported after the original tests. It says breast enlargement.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah. I noticed this unpleasant side effect, among others. I have one swollen breast. I have tapered off and discontinued the Zoloft. I wonder if they go  back to normal size wise? 
    • Posted

Well actually my male doctor put me on Sertraline years ago as I complained of night sweats and waking up panicky.  About 10 years ago.  He insisted I was stressed again,  I kept saying I was happy in my life, nice home, good career I was not upset about anything ...

25 years ago I was diagnosed with  Crohn's Disease & a rare form of Colitis,  so I took an 

anti depressant

Until I had come to terms with the condition. 

My doctor told me to expect to

Be on Sertraline for rest of my life as each time I tried to come off it the withdrawal symptoms were awful.   A few years ago a new FEMALE doctor asked why I was still on S/line.   She did a blood test I had been in full blown menopause for at least 7/8 years!!     Phew....   latest research suggest s/line is worst drug for colitis sufferers.   So taken a while but come off.  Then  I started L-Tyrosine & 5-HTP.  It took 8 weeks to come off S/line still only very occasionally get the odd head zap.... but my breast are sore.... but seem less so then 2 weeks ago so fingers x'd.   Hope this helps 

• Posted

I was just Googling the same issue when I came across your post. I've been taking sertraline for about 4 years now be the past few weeks I've had really tender breasts and wondered if it was linked to the meds. Booking a gp appointment just incase it's anything else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.