having half thyroid removed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had op to remove half thyroid? What's recovery period like.?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Out of curiosity...  what are the reasons one would have half their thyroid removed?  Thank you to Gill or anyone else who may answer..
  • Posted

Hi I have had this done in 2007 I was off work for 3 weeks as that what was recommended. I didn't drive in this time. Recovery wasn't bad at all I can't remember being in any pain. The only thing that did happen was that my thyroid was under active within 2 months which meant I had to start taking thyroxine.

• Posted

Right thanx for that. I hav a weekend away 8 days after op. ( booked months ago) think I best cancel it try get bit cash bac.no point been silly &feeling bad on the coach . Doc mentioned I might hav to take thyroxine.

• Posted

Hi Joanne Hope you don't mind my asking but what age were you roughly when you had this operation?

• Posted

Hi,

I had to nodules that were benign so I had the iodine ablation as my first option. It did clear the 1 nodule and decreased the other. I have a coworker that had hashimoto and she told me to never get partial thyroid removed because she had partial and regrets it. She said she wished they removed the whole thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.