Could I have another food allergy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

So I've been gluten free for about 4 months and have noticed no difference in my symptoms what so ever. I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease earlier this year as I was experiencing diarrhoea 2 or 3 times every morning and lots of pain throughout the day.

Could there be another food group that I am allergic to or intolerant to? What are the most common allergies that go alongside coeliac disease?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ali

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Intolerants that go with celiac is lactose. I will try that first. If it's not that it may be fructose.

• Posted

I had very few symptoms before I was diagnosed but having been gluten free for some 3 years I now find that if i do, by accident, eat something containing gluten I get quite severe symptoms.  I suspect the recovery time, having gone gluten free, depends on just how badly the digestive system has been damaged - the greater the damage the longer it takes to recover.  Four months could be too soon in your case.  It would probably be a good idea, though, to discuss the matter with your GP, just to ease your mind.
  • Posted

Hi Ali,

You might know a lot of this already, but just in case you dont . . .

It took about 7 months for me to find ALL the gluten that was getting into my system.  I don't know how much knowledge you have on CD, but cross contamination is the worst.

I went GF in July of 2015.  I am still not able to eat most fruit or anything with sugar.  Mostfruit makes me very sick still.  All I can really eat is meat, eggs, and veggies and a little bit of dark fruit like blue and blackberries, and dark cherries and only in small amounts.

Many with CD stay away from all the processed foods, especially until your body has more time to heal. Like a full year.  

I had to stop using all my hair products and buy new that are labeld GF, they managed to get in my mouth through touching my hair and then not being good about washing my hands before eating.  Shampoo can run down your throat when washing if you are not careful. too. There are a lot fo forums you can join that will help you figure ti all out.  gluten dude is my fave. 

If you are wearing makeup, you will have to discard it and buy all new stuff.  If you have a partner who uses lip balm that is not GF, when you kiss, you have been glutened.  Lotions, all that stuff. no more unless they say glutne free on the package. Just because it has no gluten in the product ingredients, does not make it GF because of corss contamination.

I suggest you keep a food journal and be very exact for a couple weeks. Write down what you ate and how you feel afterwords. It will help you determine what might be causing the issues. It is likely getting in there somehwere, HOWEVER I have heard that some do not get better on the GF diet, but I would certainly give it more time and really examine everything that could be cross contamination; did you replace all your cooking pans, toaster, wooden cooking tools, anything gluten can sitck to, get rid of it!  

I have had gf processed foods that made me sick because it was procced in a facilty that was processing glutenous foods. If you are super sencitive, I would simply steer clear of anything that is processed.  I am repeating what i say because it is very importent until you get it figured out.

Feel free to keep asking questions, I will be happy to help.  

Hang in there, it does get easier. Sort of. 

• Posted

Hi Ali,

Oh my goodness!  ALL OF US HAVE GONE THROUGH WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH.  It is so unnerving.  First, please know that labels, "GF or Gluten Free" are simply NOT! The FDA allows 5 parts per million to 20 parts per million in foods while still calling them gluten free.  My level of Coeliac will not allow 1 part per million so I was successfully staying sick while working hard to be clean.  Second, you are correct that other foods that are not gluten may/WILL cause you challenges.  Coffee, oatmeal, foods on the FODMAP diet can all trigger unwanted responses.  The FODMAP diet is for individuals with IBS.  HOWEVER, I found that many of the items trigger my symptoms - not for as long as if I was truly glutened - but nevertheless, long enough. Also, if you are unwittingly irritating yourself you can overlap weeks of illness.  Ours is a difficult disease to work with.  Even those of us who have wrestled for years still get tripped up.  No, I cannot eat at restaurants.  No, I cannot eat foods listed GF - not without trying them, getting sick, and then marking them off of my list.  YES, the only way to know for sure if something will make you sick is to take it completely out of your diet for a time and then add it back.  WRITE A JOURNAL!!  Everything that goes into your system must be recorded along with the way you felt during the day, how you slept the night before, and where you might have been throughout the day.  THIS will become your saving grace! Wishing you well - Laurie

• Posted

wish I had known about this site when I got diagnosed! I will be spreading the word!
    • Posted

it is likely safer here in the US then. it's supposed to be then 20 parts per billion. guess i m more sensitive.  

• Posted

Hi Ali,

Oh my goodness!  ALL OF US HAVE GONE THROUGH WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH.  It is so unnerving.  First, please know that labels, "GF or Gluten Free" are simply NOT! The FDA allows 5 parts per million to 20 parts per million in foods while still calling them gluten free.  My level of Coeliac will not allow 1 part per million so I was successfully staying sick while working hard to be clean.  Second, you are correct that other foods that are not gluten may/WILL cause you challenges.  Coffee, oatmeal, foods on the FODMAP diet can all trigger unwanted responses.  The FODMAP diet is for individuals with IBS.  HOWEVER, I found that many of the items trigger my symptoms - not for as long as if I was truly glutened - but nevertheless, long enough. Also, if you are unwittingly irritating yourself you can overlap weeks of illness.  Ours is a difficult disease to work with.  Even those of us who have wrestled for years still get tripped up.  No, I cannot eat at restaurants.  No, I cannot eat foods listed GF - not without trying them, getting sick, and then marking them off of my list.  YES, the only way to know for sure if something will make you sick is to take it completely out of your diet for a time and then add it back.  WRITE A JOURNAL!!  Everything that goes into your system must be recorded along with the way you felt during the day, how you slept the night before, and where you might have been throughout the day.  THIS will become your saving grace! Wishing you well - Laurie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.