Sliding hiatus hernia with bad back pain.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am new to this site. Can anyone give me any advice of how I should treat my Sliding hiatus hernia, which is causing me chronic bad back pain. I am taking meds from the doctor but not helping. Any advise would be gratefully received. I want my life back again. 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shirley

I have tried everything and I find eating mints and icecream has helped! It's an awful condition and you are always worried about everything you eat! Porridge is good in a morning and ginger biscuits too

• Posted

Hello Dawnnali, do you also have the back ache? What mints do you eat? Is it just plain ice cream you have? Yes, this just horrible. I was ok until I had the Gastroscopy. Thanking you for offering help

• Posted

hi shirley... am awfully sorry for ur condition. i have a large sliding hernia and its causing me troubles like you do. constant chest and back pain and anxiety. i am on lansoprazole since 2013 with domperidone from time to time. i dont have heart burn but acid reflux burns my throat specially in the morning. i sleep with my head and abdomen elevated and it helps a lot in miniimizing the acid. upon waking up i drink a glass of lukewarn water and jumps up and down 6 to 10 times releasing air thru the mouth each time. gives me relief every time. give it a try and avoid stress and worries. hope you find relief as a hiatal hernia will be part of our lives forever.
    • Posted

Thanks Alvin for your reply. I am taking 2x Omeprazole 20mg in the morning, gaviscon advance twice a day after meals and 2x Ranitidine at night.I have just now started in the morning, drinking water, going up and down on my feet, then throwing the arms up in the air and taking short breaths. I will try your way and see what happens. I hope you do not mind me asking but how big is your hernia? I do not sleep well either. I have spent tonight awake. I lay my head on two pillars, but the constant pain in the back keeps me awake. 
  • Posted

Hi Shirley,

I had a sliding HH too and reflux, I had it for as long as I can remember back to childhood I remember symptoms, I was taking 40mg nexium, ranitadine, gaviscon and was still having symptoms,

On the 8th of June this year I had had surgery to fix it all, I'm still not 100% but I'm laying down at night with no discomfort now, I don't have burning feeling anymore, I still am a bit sore tho and can't eat more than a child portion of food at a time, but on my consultant advice to stop any damage caused by the acid ie barrets, lung problems and damage to my voice box I went ahead with the op.

I hope you can get sorted out, good luck.

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Margaret, so pleased that you are starting to slowly feel better. Where did you have your op performed? Thankyou
    • Posted

Hi Shirley,

I had my operation in the Royal Berkshire hospital in Reading on the NHS. If you want to have a read of my post op blog it is somewhere on this forum site. It takes a while to convince the GP to refer you then I waited ages for the hospital to get funding sorted etc.

I'm going to have a blood test tomorrow just to check everything is going OK.

Best wishes to you.

Margaret

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.