Amitryptiline cause burning sensation?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ive been on low dose amitryptiline now for few weeks for nerve related symptoms and past few nights my arms and legs have been burning and tingly has anyone else had this side effect from this med ? Pls help

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sally

I take this medication for  PsA  it suppresses nerve and tendon pain, my dose rate is 75mg before bed.

The medication can take a time to work as this medication is an actual AD. The dose we take generally quite low. so I would think give it more time to work.

I find the medication very good for nerve damage although I was talking about the medication and some medics  feel  there are other medications we can try.

Try taking milk with the tablets as the tast of the drug can be a little bit YUK

I hope you get respite, keep in touch

BOB

• Posted

Yes i understand it is supposed to help with burning and tingling etc. Im now scared to carry on taking it.
    • Posted

sally

We all need to be happy in our skin so if you are not comfortable with the drug see your Gp

There are other medications that can be used according to my  Trick cyclist. I do not know the drugs names.

Good luck

BOB

• Posted

I have been on it for about 3 weeks...I initially felt tired now I sometimes feel like ants are crawling in my legs or pins and needles but I am definately in less pain though I really think the dose needs increasing as I am on 10mg.  I take it before bed.  I havnt had burning but I am guessing the tingling is because of the way the drug works "They appear to work in the nervous system by reducing the nerve cell’s ability to re-absorb chemicals such as serotonin and noradrenaline. These chemicals are called neural transmitters. If they are not reabsorbed they accumulate outside the nerve cell and the result is suppression of pain messages in the spinal cord."

• Posted

Ive been on it about 3 weeks too. Do u think the tinglin will go away
    • Posted

I am not sure but I hope so as its like pins and needles but not quite. Not sure how long it should last but I am hoping it goes soon
  • Posted

Hi ive been on amitriptyline for about 1 in half an i feel a burning pain in my arms an legs sometimes but not all day its weird i only notice it when im not busy its probably a wierd side effects
  • Posted

Yes my arms have been kinda of burning its weird feeling last all day im upping my dose because my medication isnt working as well with my trigeminal neuralgia
  • Posted

I have had the tingling, burning, pins and needles and skin crawling in feet with twitches in leg. Not used to this. Been on Ami for 2 months..
  • Posted

I’ve been on Amitriptyline far too long and on high doses. A couple of years ago I got tingling and has over time spread. Now in feet/hands/one leg and buttox.. So painful and you’re not alone.

I have recently stopped taking the medication as these meds are more harm than good. 

It’s time to fight back.

Have you tried acupuncture/reflexology? Your nerves are probably confused with the meds so maybe try meditation or mindfulness to calm the nerves?

• Posted

I had a spinal stroke in 2019. I have agonizing pain from buttock into perineum and down both legs.

They suggested adding elavil 10 mg at night to my regimen. It made my pain so much worse! I couldn't stand the burning and tingling in my legs and feet it just made me cry. I stopped it after a month or so. MUCH better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.