What's are considered to be dangerous and mult vitamins

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I hope I find you all in good health, another question I'm afraid, when I spoke to my Heamotologist a week ago (he rang to say my exon 12 will be another 18 days) he asked how I was feeling and I told him of my discomforting symptoms, especially my dizziness, he told me that that symptom wasn't Polycythemia, he told me to see my GP, so because I'm going through the menoporse too I saw my GP Friday, spoke to him in great detail, showed him my latest blood result from the hospital which incidently my Heamotologist said was just above for Polycythemia, my readings are heamoglobin 174 heamocrit 0.53 and red blood cells 5.66, my GP said they are high but not at a dangerous level yet too however he said I wouldn't fly or go to high altitude without taking some precautions. My GP said it might be advisable to take some mult vitamins too, my question is could multivitamin excel your red blood numbers? My doctor said no, and what would be considered to be a high levels are considered dangerous and needs urgent attention in both primary and secondary as I'm unsure what I am yet. X

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia, I take a vitamin B complex that helps with the mouth ulcers, watch out for anything with iron as it makes red  blood cells,  I take 17 Hydroxycarbamide a week have primary polythythemia Vera also take Cimetidine for the itchy skin x
  • Posted

Right about the iron. I believe B12 can be a problem too, but not 100% sure. I like cereal in the mornings, had a heck of a time finding one without a lot of iron. Even corn flakes was at like 90%, but the frosted flakes were only like 20%. Could differ by brand, so be sure to check the label. 
  • Posted

Hi Julia

I concur with Rainbows End and John, Iron supplements are to be avoided. They will only serve to accelerate the production of red blood cells. Surprised your Doctor said that the dizziness isn’t anything to do with Polycythaemia as mine said it is and if you trawl through some of the more reputable medical websites, they say the same too. In terms of what is determined to be dangerous blood count levels, well I can only tell you that my Haematologist considered mine to be dangerous when he first saw me and I went straight from his consultation room and in to the treatment room for venesection. I had this every other day initially for 3 weeks before dropping down to once a week. At that time, my Haemoglobin was 20.3, Haematocrit 0.60, Red Blood Cell Count 6.71. The threshold for women as you probably know is lower.

Hope this helps

Keith

• Posted

Thank you Kieth, I'm not going to take any in case it excels them, I think if my exon 12 is negitive I shall be having a red cell mass test, to determine if I'm Polycythemic or not personally, I will be surprised if I'm not with my levels and the fact I have symptoms and I suppose it's like everyone here experience on how slow my blood flows when they just need a test tube blood, the phlebotomist always comments and appologises for the effort it takes her and many bruises it courses. Thank you everyone for all your advice.

• Posted

I was told to avoid anything vitamin wise with iron in it and foods high in iron, including pate and liver!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.