Lucid dreaming and paralysis ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had lucid dreams ever since I was a child.

Recently it has taken a weird turn. 

The dream always starts with me waking up in bed, and then I start feeling scared. Just a feeling of terror. At this point I realize I am asleep and try to wake myself up. Usually by screaming WAKE UP and trying to get out of bed, but I cant. until finally I am jolted awake and can sit up. Then I will get a feeling of terror again and realize that I am still sleeping. And I go through the whole process again, Usually 5-10 times before I actually wake up.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Not like this, no. I just dream constantly and have the most vivid dreams. They usually involve tedious activities that are frustrating at the time
  • Posted

Jane

I do go through lucid dreams every now and again, although yours is a unpleasent and confusing problem

Talk to your GP, there are sleep clinics that May help

BOB

• Posted

Hello,

Yes this is completely normal and has been happening to me for about 6 years now: it's called sleep paralysis and it's a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, in which you are conscious before you are able to move your muscles, it sounds scarier that it is.

If I am lucky, it only happens once a night not 5 to 10 times so here's what helped lessen/sometimes prevent it for me:

- do not sleep on your back: this will particularly help you if you are a still sleeper like me, try sleeping on your side for a change, it helps cause you feel less vulnerable and exposed when sleeping on your side

- do not go to bed feeling stressed or anxious or with a headache, try sleeping relaxed

This is what helped me cope with, and just remember that you are in control of it, and that nothing alarming is actually going to happen, when you keep in mind that it's normal and happens to 1 in 10 people you will forget about the terror that comes with it, so when you realize you are awake just try to move and stay calm you will be less scared: I usually wake up within a few second of trying to shake my body.

Good luck nothing you should worry about!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.