Recent onset Tinnitus, intermittent...can I do anything?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have never had Tinnitus before, but recently have had a variety of throat/voice related issues due to extreme tension for years. I also had my tonsils out a few months ago to try and relieve some tension.

In the last few weeks I occasionally get a sudden quite loud high pitched ringing in one or other ear that only lasts a few seconds, which I'm guessing is not unusual.

But in my right ear I have a fairly constant ringing. It sounds more like a whistling sound, as it is not a smooth tone, it modulates. It is about D sharp-5 on a piano, or 622HZ.  

It does seem to dissapear at times, mainly in the morning after a good nights sleep, or when I am more rested and less stressed. But otherwise it is there a lot of the time.

I have been having intense deep massage on my throat and neck muscles by a specilalist for my voice problems, and the right hand side (where the tinntiust is) is far far worse for tension. I wondered if tinnitus couldbe due solely to a lot of tension?

I am a musician and singer and am struggling a lot with the loss of my voice and the pain, and the tinnitus is just adding a constant level of stress to the whole matter

Is there anything I can be doing or not doing to help, or to not make it worse?  I have been taking painkillers, not a lot, but paracetaol, ibroprufen and codeine, just alternating really. I have read that these can make it worse, but its not conclusive and I dont know if I should stop taking all painkillers

Any help greatly appreciated

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The pain over a long period of time could have eventually caused the tinnitus (interaction between auditory (hearing) and somatosensory (pain partly) systems in the brain and sensory compensation).

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiology

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Thanks, I didnt know that

But does that mean it could go away? Or is it more likely to stay with me now?

• Posted

This issue will also need to be discussed with your physician.  If it isn't due to the medications (aspirin for example can cause tinnitus), and due to what I said, then I am afraid it will not go away.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiology

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Surely there are more reasons for non-permanent tinnitus than just painkillers or the reaon you mentioned. It is intermittent now, even though it is more present than not, does that not mean there is a possibiility it could go away?

Also, I cant seem to find definitive info on painkillers and their effect on in. What is the best painkillet to take if you do not want to increase your tinnitus?

• Posted

Tinnitus is also just one of the symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency something which many doctors "overlook".

I am not a medically qualified person but I suggest you ask your doctor to check your serum B12 and Folate levels, if for nothing else but to eliminate a deficiency as a possible cause.

Apparently upwards of 40% of Americans are B12 deficient and aren't even aware of it and I guess the same "ignorance" of it here in the U.K. is just as likely.

I have had Pernicious Anaemia for 45 years which necessitates regular injections of B12 for the rest of my life and I have noticed a return of my tinnitus in the run up to my next scheduled injection which then abates for a few weeks.

• Posted

In a "perverse way" that's a shame your levels were "fine" as B12 would have been a simple and effective remedy.

I hope you find the cause soon and you get back to normal again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.