How to wean off Cipralex

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on Cipralex 20mg for about 7 months. Doctor recommended at least a year on it. I do a lot of physical labour around my hobby farm, as well as do some writing and helping my kids with schoolwork, so I do get mental stimulation as well. Gradually getting back to work outside of home, and hopefully regain the sense of contributing to my community. Still occasionally feel overwhelmed, as if in a fog -would just like to disappear. Any idea how/when the weaning is advisable.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i know this does not answer your question, but is the drug helping you? if so, why get off of it? 
    • Posted

It does help, but it also makes me more lethargic. The normal me is a morning person, but now I have a hard time waking up and getting going. Also, it makes me emotionally numb, and my thinking more foggy. It certainly prevents panicky moments and hopelessness. I would just like to give myself a goal/timeframe to some day get drugfree.
    • Posted

I am 100% in favor of being drug free.  If it is hard to get up, i would change the time I take it. As for the other symptoms, i get it. You have to weigh the negetive from the positive and see what works best for you.

would like to be numb numb myself, the drugs always made me jittery, and made my heart dangeriouly fast. nothing ever slowed me down when taking the drugs.  it was like being on speed only much worse. 

do you have a plan, not only while weaning, but after you are off and if the panic starts again? Like breathing techniques, yoga. . . ?

Have you told your doc you want to wean off?  did she/he have any suggestions or did they want you to stay on  them longer? 

i read on another posts that some folks use herb, to calm the panic. Others say it made them panic worse. Seems it would be safer then benzos if you only need it for panic. might help you go off the drug easier too?  

Of course, if it is not legal in your towm, don't go there.

• Posted

Tilhi

The problem you have with AD medications is the gradual dropping of the medication until you are clean.

We are all different and our bodies do respond in different ways. There will be a time if your GP thinks it right to withdraw the drug, He may wait until the year is up or start the withdrawal in say three months time. If this is the case you may overlap the year and it could take an extended period into the next year period. The drug can take longer to withdraw than building up the dose at the beginning of treatment. Nothing is actually set in stone.

Be patient and do not concern yourself for at least several months more,

What can happen as you are weaned of the drug you can have problems with another or reoccuring Depression and the drug will therefore be increased again.

On withdrawal the same can apply you are reducing the drug, you have a reoccurence and the drug is upped again, this could take extended periods to reduce

Keep a hold and do not rush

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.