Herpes 1 on mouth and genitals

Posted , 2 users are following.

If someone gave you herpes on your genitalia from his mouth can you pass it back to him on his genitals?

In other words can you be reinfected in another area or are you immune because you are already the original carrier

This is HSV-1

Because this happened and I didn't think it was possible

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It is possible, but usually only in the first 3-4 months of infection, before proper immunity is established via full antibody production. People who failed to develop or maintain sufficient antibodies are also potentially susceptible.
    • Posted

I don't understand if I got it from my bf on my genitals after oral and he has had oral herpes for years. But now I have given it to him on his genitals. I thought he would be immune to it because he already had it on his mouth

How can this happen. It is type 1 because I got tested ...

• Posted

That is unusual, because he ought to be already immune. Also, gHSV1 does not effectively transmit via sexual intercourse (usually acquired via oral sex).
    • Posted

So does that mean I might have type 2 instead of type 1

But I have never been with any other person

So I don't know how i could get type 2

Could this just be bad luck ?

• Posted

Did your partner have genital lesions, and if so, were they swabbed? Otherwise: (a) it might not be herpes; (b) he already had genital HSV1 before and didn't know it; or (3) he unusually did not develop/maintain adequate immunity. If you are negative for HSV2, he could not have contracted that from you.

• Posted

I assumed I caught genital herpes from him via oral as I have not been with anyone else, and he has had cold sores before. but now he has it on his genitals from me !!

He hasn't got the test results back yet

But it sure looks like herpes. Maybe he didn't develop the immunity against it

Now that we both have it on the genitals and I have a outbreak and we have sex can that make him have a outbreak? Or the other way around ?

• Posted

Herpes outbreaks do not ping pong between partners. However, the friction from sex can trigger an outbreak in some people (lube is your friend!), but more likely those with gHSV2.
    • Posted

I have had approx 7 outbreaks since I 1st got it 3 months ago. The 1st was the worst with swollen lymph nodes etc. They rest have been smaller. I am going to go on medication now to stop the constant outbreaks
    • Posted

That is unusual for gHSV1 to cause so many outbreaks. Not unheard of, just less common. Have you had blisters/ulcers with each recurrence? Hope the meds help!
    • Posted

I have had blisters with each recurrence just not as bad as the initial outbreaks. Usually around my period. I had read that usually you might only ever have one or 2. But I also am under lots of stress so that might be a factor.

Was also wondering if you could be born with hsv 1 or 2 transmitted from your mother ? And not know it

Thanks for all the help answers I really appreciate it !!

• Posted

You're welcome! Yes, that's possible, but normally an infected newborn would be very ill (neonatal herpes is serious and can be fatal). Most vertical transmission occurs during childbirth when the mother is having an outbreak or otherwise shedding, not so much during or as a result of pregnancy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.