Methotrexate vs Arava

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good Evening Friends,

I have RA - high CCP but negative RA factor. All signs point to RA. I've tried MTX and after

3rd week had vicious reaction to it. Great deal of hair loss and wicked fatigue. My doc wants to start Arava but I understand side effects are worse. Any one out there can help me figure this out?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tami,

Have no fear, many of us can not take methotrexate.

And all of us have tried multiple medications before. Landing on the one just right.

Be vigilant and call your doc when you think you may be having an adverse reaction.

Hang in there,

Kind regards,

Judith

JRA for 54 years

• Posted

Tami - do you have psoarasis on your skin, if so you could have developed psorasis arthiritis, I have it and come back RA negative, but rheumo teels me I have all the symptoms of RA.

Have been on MTX for many years and not had the problems you have but not worked very well either, so Rheumo put me on Arava or Leflunomide, same thing, 10mg worked so well I am still on it, in fact worked so well that Rheumo decided that more would be better, so 20mg later i felt wonderful except for headaches, caused by extreme blood pressure, taken off it immediately as they thought I might have a stroke, not good, but apparently a rare reaction 2% or less of patients have problems with it.

So back to 10mg chemist tells me most patients take 20mg, I had to explain why I am on the lessor dose tablets, and continued with MTX until recently.

Side effects and suggestions of Arava - only side effect for me is extremly loose bowels in the morning, when you have to go you HAVE TO GO, family now go before I get upright and do there business and leave the loo clear for me to run if necessary, every day is a little different, but once done all OK for rest of day.

I take my tablet at night time for that very reason, don't need to be caught out later in day, rheumo warned me known side effect.

• Posted

Everyone reacts differently to different meds. So try it and see- might work well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.