Thinking of starting Paxil, anybody have good news

Posted , 16 users are following.

36 year old male, physically healthy, mentally not so much. Lol. sad Anyway, I have severe anxiety now with some depression, it makes me want to end my life sometimes, it's pretty horrid. I won't do it because of my daughter and wife. I need help. Thinking of trying Paxil, anybody have good experience with it? If so, what's your dose, and what time of day is best to take it? Any strange side effects? I take Seroquel to sleep at night, it helps sometimes, but it doesn't help the anxiety during the day at all. Been dealing with this 8 months now. 8 months of hell. If you have any other suggestions, meditation or something, please advise

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jeremy,

I have been on paxil 30 mg for 16 years . I know what you are going through it is miserable. You can start at a small dose of 10mg and go up if you need too. It takes a few weeks to start changing your depression and anxiety. It has worked for me. Talk to your doctor about it or any other medication. I am glad you are healthy and I am sure your doctor can help you with the depression and anxiety.

so life is not as bleak  as it seem now. Stay strong and you will get through this.

• Posted

Ok thank you. I'm just scared, the anxiety makes me nervous to take any medicine really. Success stories like your ms give me hope though!

• Posted

It  is only natural to be scared. And anxiety just makes it worse. You will be ok though help is on the way.
  • Posted

Hi Jeremy,  I am so sorry that you are experiencing this horrid condition.  Have you tried CBT or any other therapies at all?  you could try seeing someone who is qualified in EFT of if you research it on the internet you tube you can find out how to do it, it seems strange but it really does help and is worth a go.  I have been on seroxat for 24 years and it really did benefit me.  It like all drugs does have side affects and whatever drug you take will but if you are unable to go on without going for the help of medication then they are there to help.  There are many different ones and the first one is not always the right one I think that sertraline, seroxat and citalopram are all good for anxiety, there is obviously the benzos which help almost immediately but can only be used for a very short time as are highly addictive and only work for a short period of time, of course these too will have side effects.  

It is so hard when you are in such an anxiety state to make any decision and just feel scared of everything.If i could of got through without the help of medication then I would of, I know that if i had not had the medication I would not of been able to go on, believe me I had tried to cope on my own for 3 years.  I got prescribed it and kept the packed on the side and was too scared to take it.  I went out with my sister one day and I was so unwell in a shop that I took my first one, then I carried on, it did help me and without something I dont know wht would of happened.

I have over the years hadd some relapses and I have over the years tried to comeoff it and cant, that is another battle to face.

Only you know how you feel and what you can or cant cope with, I will always say that if you really cant go on without help (medication) then give it a go, what have you really got to loose when the other option is hopelessness and helplessness.

• Posted

Hi jeremy

I've been on paxel now for 10 months now starting with 20mg and still was depressed and had anxiety attacks. Then dic changed to 40mg. Been doing great with no side effects. I take it at night. Hope this can help you. By the way my daughters on prozac 20mg and is doing great to.

• Posted

I'm on day 18 of 10mg, I have horrible night sweats now all night. Been having them for almost two weeks now. My night clothes are drenched and I have to change twice nightly, needless to say I'm not getting much sleep waking wet all night long. Did you experience this, and if so did it go away? Also I feel hungry almost every 3 hours now. Do you experience this as well? I told my doctor about the night sweats and she says she dosent think they will go away and I should change medications. But it was hard for me to even try this one and I'm already 3 weeks in. Ugh.

• Posted

I have been on Paroxetine for 7 years. It suits me very well. After a week I stopped feeling anxious and have not had a panic attack since .
  • Posted

It does affect my eye sight though and there is a loss of libido. I am also not as sharp witted as I was. 20 mg is a good dose for me.
  • Posted

It is definitely better for me than Prozac on which I felt insane and mirtazapine which gave me horrendous nightmares
    • Posted

i am on paroxitine again as i have tried prozac and setraline and have not worked for me i start tomorrow i hope i can get back to my near normal self again.
    • Posted

did the paroxetine work when you restarted it? i recently stopped it and tried sertraline which was horrific and now back on Paroxetine. im hoping it will work?

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

Im a 32 year old male, suffered from depression mainly in the last 3 years but the last 12 months my anxiety has got worse. I was on cymbolta for 18 months but in the end it failed to do the job for my anxiety. I've been on paroxetine 20mg for 3 weeks now, it took 5 days to start working and im feeling ok with some side effects like lack of concentration, headaches and some depression. Im hoping it does improve in the next couple weeks. So your not alone mate, i have a beautiful wife and 2 great kids so i have to stay strong for them. Stay off the booze and any illicit drugs!

Good luck!

Adam.

• Posted

Jeremy brother I can relate to your darkness. I've had anxiety for 9 years now, and never knew what it was. I always thought it was heart problems, or stroke just by the symptoms I have. My PC has prescribed this medicine for the second time around, and I'm scared of it.

The first time I took it, it had me hallucinating and waking up out of my sleep seeing things. I stopped immediately. After I just tried to eat a healthy diet and exercise but this anxiety never seems to go away for good. Now, I'm on my last leg and I'm going to try the holistic approach, cause I'm just too scared of the medications they have for particular diagnosis. It seems it makes it worse, please be encouraged and don't take your life. You can get through this.

• Posted

Hi Jeremy, I took paxil 20mg for just over a year and it helped me get over a pretty anxious time in my life at work. I would have continued as it really worked for me and took the edge off my issues. It took the edge of everything else as well. My only issue was that my libido suffered and I gradually lost all interest in any sexual relations with my wife. This was VERY unlike me as we enjoy a healthy sex life. If it wasn't for that I would have continued. I've now been completely off paxil for 6 weeks. It was a hell of a come down with head flashes and mood swings but I'm back to normal in the bedroom. I have a prescription for Zoloft as that is what the doctor wanted me to try next but I've decided to come off everything and see how I go. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.